What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

What brand of RC glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

OS
41%
Thunder Tiger
5%
ASP/Magnum
14%
Saito
8%
YS
No votes
Enya
5%
SuperTigre
6%
Webra
5%
Tower/GMS
3%
Other (specify)
13%

Total votes : 63

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 16, 2010 1:17 am

Bolio, what fuel are you using (what oil)?

That can have a huge effect on bearing-life.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby PLaurence » Tue May 18, 2010 2:21 am

I've been in and out of this hobby for some 45 years. IMHO, the OS SF Longstrokes and the late 80s/early 90s Irvines were great. I buy a SF any chance I get.
Tight Turns
PLaurence

Postby cmulder » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm

most of my "use" engines i have are os and of them most are bough used.
So far i have had ussaly good but also some negative experiences (peeling liner in a 61sf-p)
In number the brand i have the most engines of are cox but that is more a collection then for practical use.
cmulder

Postby Aquaman » Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 pm

ANYTHING NOT MADE IN CHINA!….

In my opinion, “Cloning”, “Reverse Engineering” “Copying” someone else’s work is stealing and I personally have issue with it.

I don’t ever remember Sanye designing or building anything with the “Sanye” brand on it and I refuse to buy anything known to be “Sanye” ASP, Magnum, Evolution, Super Tiger and probably a host of other “stick this name on it” brands. Do you ever wonder why Sanye doesn’t have the “stones” to put their own name on anything?

In my opinion the Chinese Government Lies, Cheats, and Steals from the rest of the world by undervaluing its currency.

Currency devaluation helps China by boosting its exports, and hurts the United States by widening the "trade deficit." The Chinese People can’t afford our products or those from other countries.

China's Currency Manipulation Poses a Roadblock to Sustainable Global Economic Growth
The G-20, the IMF, the OECD — all of the major institutions and central banks of the world have been harping on the importance of repairing global imbalances over the past year … and for good reason. When they do this, they're talking specifically to China.
Over the last 14 years, China's economy has grown a whopping eight-fold, to $4.9 trillion, and it has quickly soared to become the world's third-largest economy.
During the same period, the U.S. economy has only doubled in size.
Ref. http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/vi ... id/4164559

How do you manufacture,assemble, package and market a ASP S52A Two Storke Glow Engine for $54.95…..or a OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver for $14.95?
Simple, You do it dishonestly…

Screw-um I'll never intentionally buy anything that comes out of that country ever again.
Aquaman

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Actually, most of the early Chinese products were direct copies (often with inferior metalurgy and machining) but these days they are pretty much all "original designs".

The head of OS's design team left the company and went on to design one of the world's best .40/.46-sized engines in the form of the Thunder Tiger 46Pro.

SuperTigre is an Italian design and, as far as I'm aware, it's still made (in part from the *original* ST tooling) for the Italian owners but in China, so that's hardly theft or cloning.

All the current crop of Sanye engines are "original designs", which is why they lack the refinement and overall performance of (for example) an OS.

The USA's first rocket cruise missile was "stolen" from Germany and quickly improved to become what it is today. Is that Cloning too? :D

Now, as someone who makes a living from the creation of easily copied intellectual property, I am strongly opposed to any unauthorized copying of anyone's work. Chinese brand JBA seem to make an engine that looks *very much" like an OS55AX. I don't have one, I won't buy one -- for that very reason.

However, I do buy the TT46Pro because it is nothing like any existing or previous OS engine. It was designed and manufactured by Thunder Tiger in Taiwan. It is a good engine and it isn't a copy of anything.

Also, some of the cheaper Chinese brands prove by their performance and longevity (or lack thereof) that they aren't copies of anything either.
RCModelReviews

Postby Aquaman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:01 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:The USA's first rocket cruise missile was "stolen" from Germany and quickly improved to become what it is today. Is that Cloning too? :D

14 million dead people are probably happy we did....
Aquaman

Postby UncleFesterUK » Sun May 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Most of my Engines are Sc, with a few Irvine, and a couple of Mokies, but i do like the Jen engines, and starting to get a good collection of these,
never had any problem with them.. :)
UncleFesterUK

Postby skyguy04 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I run OS and Thunder Tiger. Although most say TT are equal to OS, i can tell a difference in power and it's ability to stay tuned. But I doubt the differences are worth the extra money for an OS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with TT. Great engine for the money. Just based on quality alone though, i voted OS.
skyguy04

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:28 am

Irvine, the original English made ones.
I dont know about the new ones, if somebody wants me to write a review on them I will set aside the time to do it. ;)
Hey Bruce , hows about a hand me down review engine? :lol:
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:38 am

jeffie8696 wrote:Irvine, the original English made ones.
I dont know about the new ones, if somebody wants me to write a review on them I will set aside the time to do it. ;)
Hey Bruce , hows about a hand me down review engine? :lol:

If anyone sends me one to review, it'll get given away. Unfortunately I've had to pay for all the engines I've reviewed so far :shock:
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to IC Engines