What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

What brand of RC glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

OS
41%
Thunder Tiger
5%
ASP/Magnum
14%
Saito
8%
YS
No votes
Enya
5%
SuperTigre
6%
Webra
5%
Tower/GMS
3%
Other (specify)
13%

Total votes : 63

What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 7:57 am

Yes, let's get a bit of info about RCModelReviews readers.

What is the brand of RC model glow/nitro engine you prefer to use in your models. If you have more than one favorite you're just going to have to decide which you like the most.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RobC » Tue May 04, 2010 11:43 am

The majority of my engines are SC, so I guess that could be a vote for ASP/Magnum. I've gone for them on the basis of price, my 'big-brand' engines tend to be second-hand purchases, I can't justify paying twice the price for an OS or Enya.
RobC

Postby beau0090_99 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 am

RobC wrote:The majority of my engines are SC, so I guess that could be a vote for ASP/Magnum. I've gone for them on the basis of price, my 'big-brand' engines tend to be second-hand purchases, I can't justify paying twice the price for an OS or Enya.

+1 I have bought only Magnums and an Aviastar NIB, and the magnums (.46 XLS and .52 RFS) have been flawless and very powerful.
beau0090_99

Postby hiTmanhiT » Wed May 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I really DO prefer the ASP/SC engines because they are so cheap, so I use them in most of my models.
I don't have any problems with them, though they are a little sensitive on the needles compared to a O.S enigne, but they run great and have tons of power!

I intend to try out these Evolution engines as well now, as I have heard, they are all crap, some say(and some love them). So I want to find out why some people hate them, and some love them. Someone are probably doing something very wrong and some are doing it just right with these engines.

Have you tried any Evolution engine Bruce?
Visit my Youtube channel for awesome RC-videos from Norway!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiTmanhiT92
hiTmanhiT

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 pm

No, I haven't tried the Evolution engines -- as far as I'm aware there's no dealer for them here in NZ.

So far (for my own flying) I stick with the TT46Pro in most of my .40-sized models because I love their reliability, long-life and excellent throttling characteristics (I fly lots of 3D).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hakank » Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Had to cast my vote for OS as they always perform and can be trusted on. However I'm successfully running two JEN (Just Engines) .91 with great pleasure. Just broke in a 1.40 JBA which seems to be performing as well as the JEN's do.

/Håkan
hakank

Postby siang » Sat May 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I've little experience with engine but I'd be keen to know how the asp 46 perform. I'm building a plane atm, and have a spare asp 46 that haven't been use. I'm not sure if it still run, lol. All it did is a run in and store in my garage. It's been over 2 yrs since. If it does not fire up, what do I have to do to get it going?
siang

Postby Merf » Sun May 09, 2010 11:25 am

I've had consistent good luck with OS, Saito, Magnum, and Tower. A few lemons included engines from MDS and Thunder Tiger. My vote, however, goes to OS. I bought an OS 46FX for the 1st airplane I built. That engine's seen multiple airframes come and go over more than a decade. It has been crashed and abused, installed upright, sideways and inverted, cowled and uncowled, with many different glowplugs and fuels (even some home-made stuff that changed color within a couple of weeks), but the engine is still running as strong and reliably as ever.
Merf

Postby GeicoGecko » Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 am

West Eurotech. Had a few of these now and they scream :)
GeicoGecko

Postby Bolio » Sat May 15, 2010 11:08 pm

The best two stroke engine I have ever used is the Webra 50. Being the lightest of it's class is also the most powerful and has excellent throttle response.
I only fly this engine in profile 3D models but I'm confident that will perform as well in sport and scale models.
Only problem I found is that the bearings last a lot less than other brands. Since in Mexico only cheap bearings can be bought, replacing bearings have becomed a common manteinance routine.
It works good on 5% nitro fuel and deadsticks are very rare.
They like to be rich and have a definitive warming period. If when you start the engine sputters a little then your mixture is correct, it will reach operational temperature in the air and will work correct for the rest of the flight.
Saludos.
Bolio

Next

Return to IC Engines