25-30A ESC for AXN Floater

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Re: 25-30A ESC for AXN Floater

Postby Kozmyk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 pm

I scored along the hinge lines with the blunt'ish point of a centre punch along a steel rule to ease the movement of the control surfaces.
Medium pressure crushed the foam enough to do the job without causing damage.
Kozmyk

Postby YoungSC » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Sid Sideslip wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:Yeah, even AH admits there's about a 4-5 day backlog on stuff leaving the warehouse at the moment.

EDIT: Just checked my mail and, wonder of wonders, it's out the door. Now all it has to do is navigate Honk Kong Post before the second coming.

You're doing better than me. Ordered on Friday, they printed my order on Monday, but it hasn't been shipped yet.
YoungSC

Postby Yellowirenut » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:23 am

I ordered mine last week...
was wandering how long it has taken US customers get things from the non US warehouse (where is the darn thing?)
My batteries ( because postal rules must be shipped from the US warehouse) and CA have left the warehouse and are on there way.

US warehouse for batteries...Amazon.com for the TX/RX and that far off land for the plane, servo's and ESC.
Yellowirenut

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 am

The HobbyKing "International Warehouse" is in Hong Kong.

Most of my stuff gets put on a plane from there a couple of days after ordering. Any hold ups for me have been Aussie customs and the post office. Even so, I usually get my stuff delivered from Hong Kong in a week to ten days.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Manofmanynames » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Warning -- self-professed "new to rc and not particularly electronically inclined".

I have run into the same problem of not finding any 25-30A esc's at hobbyking.

Is it ok to go bigger? How about
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... A_ESC.html

The SS series in 35 to 40A with a 3A BEC?

I am pretty confused about this ESC rating stuff -- but in my 1st order understanding of what I have read "you can never have too much ESC" = A higher Amp rating is ok?

I will be grateful for clarification. I am otherwise the type of risk taking experimenter who will (based on my limited understanding) risk burning up the new plane with the above ESC. So if you think that is where I'm headed then for the sake a beautiful new AXN... please post here.
Manofmanynames

Postby cynr100 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Wont be an issue, always good to have a few extra amps under your sleeve, at least the ESC will run cooler.
The higher the amp rating the bigger and heavier they are so then you need to be aware of space/weight.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 pm

It has only just occurred to me that these esc's are limited to 2000kv.The axn motor is 2150kv.
Is that a problem?
quarry44

Postby Manofmanynames » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:05 pm

I didn't notice that Quarry44. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe it is ok to run full throttle at 2150kV if the Amps are only around 10 to 20?

Also, reading the reviews for the original 25-30A ESC, I see 2 interesting comments:
1) Someone claims BEC is really only 2A and not the 3A on the label.
2) Someone notes it was used on an EDF at 4100 kV without problem....

Here is a quick link to the comments on the 25-30A ESC.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 5FESC.html
Manofmanynames

Postby quarry44 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Having had a quick look at my axn,I have the 25-30 esc,and have had no problems so far(touches head).
I don't fly balls out much though.More sort of occasional loony.

ps.I see hk has just got in more of the 25-30 esc,and they don't seem to list the warning about2000 kv,so it's probably ok.For some reason the new batch appears bigger than my one.All the same,if you believe the reviews,this esc should be restricted to 25A max.
quarry44

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 pm

I've been using the Turnigy Plush 30 A ESC's In my foamies. This time specifically A Bixler where the ESC is a Turnigy 25 A. It is running a bit warm to suit me......So I peeled off the heat shrink from the metal heat sink plate. Remembering some of my thermodynamics from Physics.....black is like an open thermal door and should allow a better movement of heat out of the ESC to a cooler ambient....so I painted it flat black.
Good idea or not ?????
Flash
Flash1940

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Power Systems