ESC fried?

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

ESC fried?

Postby dannyzz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am

When i was soldering the connectors on to my esc via a ammeter i accidently put them on the wrong way anyway when i connected the battery it made a biggish arc for mabye half a second. Apart from the connector everything else seemed fine no magic smoke from the ESC, UBEC or the ammeter and no hot wires and the lipo was fine. What my question is if i reconnect it properly this time will it still work ?. I know that the ubec says reverse polarity protection my setup is a HobbyKing redbrick ESC with a 5000mah 4s nano tech battery.
dannyzz

Re: ESC fried?

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 am

From what you say the reverse polarity protection sounds as if was a diode across the input.
It may be a one time deal where it burns out an internal fuse anyway so don't get your hopes up.
But no harm in trying it the right way around it might have worked!
However check the output to the receiver is still 5 volts before you connect it!
Your receiver may be fried anyway, test it with a separate battery and servo.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: ESC fried?

Postby dannyzz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:19 am

Well i replaced both plugs and everything works fine. But i will replace it anyway just in case i opened up the ESC and there was no diode across the input so the FET's in side the speed controller must have taken the 200A+.
dannyzz

Return to Electric Power Systems