Best connectors for Batt.

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Best connectors for Batt.

Postby lbryce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 pm

I have 3 different aircraft all electric that use the same size battery 3c 11.1v but all my aircraft have different connectors, I have changed then to the Deans connectors but have found that they are not keeping a good connection and some even have broken the tension tabs and be come loose, not very reliable in my opinion.
Is there something better that i can use to match all batteries to my aircraft ? O ya so far i have not enjoyed electric and i plan not to do anymore of them. Gas is were it's at...

Thanks
P.S I have about 25 years experience in RC but a newbee in electric
lbryce

Re: Best connectors for Batt.

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

It depends on the size of your batteries as to what is best.

Obviously, if you have small packs (say 1000mAH or less) then something like a JST will probably work just fine and be small/light.

Once you go over that size you need something a little more substantial and the XT60 connector is becoming something of a standard (especially now that HK are shipping all their medium-sized batteries with them).

For very large or very high-current batteries, there are another range of choices -- but I suspect you're not using uber-high current setups.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby lbryce » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Thank You for your time, this should get me started in the right direction
lbryce

Postby francoishaha » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 am

Good question,
i always use 3s lipo, and always use EC3 connector, but recently i buy a 4s lipo and the wire are 12 awg size and barley fit in the EC3 connector, actualy i find some 4s battery with EC3 connector but to me it's a bit small for the size of the wire, i think DEAN connector are better for this size! But the thing is that i want my ESC, BATTERY connector to be all the same so i can mix them
I start with EC3 so i will try to stick with that kind of connector for now :)
francoishaha

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:21 am

I have some new Turnigy 3600mAh 30-40C 3S batteries that came with 4mm bullet connectors on 10 gauge leads. I don't really want to use the bullet connectors, but 8 gauge wire is kinda big for XT60 solder points..should I still use XT60s (as I have a bunch of them) or go with Deans?

It's just for a Turnigy G25 870Kv motor that draws about 32 amps max, matched to a 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC (which I happened to have kicking around).
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:18 pm

I use the Anderson Powerpole connectors on everything. They are a bit bulky on some of the smaller models....but one thing for sure all are compatible and series connections are easy. Leave one side connected so that only one connection is necessary to power up....safe method. I have never had a battery connector issue.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:26 am

[quote="lbryce"]I have changed then to the Deans connectors but have found that they are not keeping a good connection and some even have broken the tension tabs and be come loose, not very reliable in my opinion.

I find this very strange as I have been using Deans connectors for 3 years and I have never had one give me grief, except at the beginning when my soldering skills were a little poor. I had to throw one or two away due to having melted the plastic. Having said that I've never seen a spring tab broken off.
Kris

Return to Electric Power Systems