my plane motor went off while flying need help!

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

my plane motor went off while flying need help!

Postby seedo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:21 am

Hello Dear Members:

quickly i will go to the point i have an EDF jet & its components consist of the following:

ESC Turnigy 30A
EDF size 64mm
EDF motor 4400Kkv
Battery 1300mah 11.1v - 25-35c discharge

while flying after 5 mins the plane throttle suddenly drops from full to half by it self, then i put the throttle down and lift it up again to full throttle and it was ok and then after 30 seconds the throttle went 0% and i couldn't let the motor work again, thank god the plane was so fast so it was practically gliding so i landed it and servos where working fine, when it was in the ground i checked the battery it was a little above being warm and also the ESC, couldn't reach the motor, also i noticed the wires were hot in a not normal degree, but in the end i thing the main reason for this is that the motor max load is 26A and am using 30A ESC and most of the flying time i was on full throttle, do you think this is the reason why the plane motor fail?

Thank you folks :)
seedo

Re: my plane motor went off while flying need help!

Postby Aussie Joe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 am

Hi, to get only 5 minutes at full throttle with your set up would be normal. When you lost some power it was from the ESC telling you your battery is about to go flat,and when you put the throttle down it let the battery voltage re-cover a little bit so when you gave full throttle again the RPMs came back for a little bit then the voltage must of droped down a lot causeing the motor to stop. Most people land at the first sign of reduced power so you can still land with some power before the battery quits.
Charge the battery and try again, see what happens,if nothing is working the ESC or motor may be cooked. ESC smell bad when thay stop working, motors windings lose there resistance when thay burnout, and getting the magnets hot will make them weaker.

Cheers Joe
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby dannyzz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:38 am

when the wires get warm that can mean that there is resistance on either the battery connecters or motor connectors .Something like that happened to my boat which melted the battery connectors
dannyzz

Postby ergocentric » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Most ESCs rely on the wires to carry some of the heat away, is the ESC sufficiently cooled?

Do the motor and battery wires hve a really good connection? poor connections can cause heating as well.

How much charge did the battery have in it when you landed?

Five minutes on a battery is 12c discharge rate, or an average of 1300mAh times 12 = 15.6 Amperes; sounds about right for a discharged battery.
Last edited by ergocentric on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby seedo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:44 pm

ok guys your feedback is very useful i really appreciate it thank you.

well i noticed now that the battery is a little puffy like a balloon though its working normally, also i would like to mention that when i land the plane i found that the battery have 20% only left, for now the ESC and the motor are working properly, am suspecting two things:

- I need bigger battery.
or
- I need to check the connectors soldering it might be not soldered properly.

what do you think guys?
seedo

Postby ergocentric » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

seedo wrote:ok guys your feedback is very useful i really appreciate it thank you.

well i noticed now that the battery is a little puffy like a balloon though its working normally, also i would like to mention that when i land the plane i found that the battery have 20% only left, for now the ESC and the motor are working properly, am suspecting two things:

- I need bigger battery.
or

what do you think guys?

can you fit a 2200mAh nanotech pack in there?
ergocentric

Postby seedo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:52 pm

ergocentric wrote:
seedo wrote:ok guys your feedback is very useful i really appreciate it thank you.

- I need bigger battery.
or

what do you think guys?

can you fit a 2200mAh nanotech pack in there?

no problem at all man :D, of course i need to mod the Jet (piece of cake).
seedo

Postby Aussie Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 am

If your jet can take the weight of the 2200mAh nanotech... do it!!! It will go faster because it will have a much much higher "C" rating allowing the voltage to stay higher for longer! :P
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby ergocentric » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:04 am

Aussie Joe wrote:If your jet can take the weight of the 2200mAh nanotech... do it!!! It will go faster because it will have a much much higher "C" rating allowing the voltage to stay higher for longer! :P

even with the same C rating the available current will be higher because: available current = capacity x C rating
One thing to keep in mind about C rating is if you require a higher C rating you are getting shorter flights
1C = one hour
12C = five minutes
30C = two minutes
Who wants a two minute flight time?
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:08 am

seedo wrote:- I need bigger battery.
or

both

if you are averaging 15.6 Amperes, a 2200mAh battery should buy you almost nine minute flights and it can't hurt to check the connections
ergocentric

Next

Return to Help Needed