my plane motor went off while flying need help!

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

Re: my plane motor went off while flying need help!

Postby seedo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Hello back folks

well after hours of surgery i finally finished, i made the following:

- made the battery compartment bigger and now i fitted the Turnigy nano-tech 2200 35C.
- redo all the connectors because they are in a very very baaaaaaaaaaad condition (i made them before 4 years ago :mrgreen: )

and i made a super fast test (neighbors are sleeping) well with the EDF unit the power was 175watt before and now it got 240watt but as i said it was a super fast test its very loud but anyway tomorrow i will update you.

Thanks all for your comments :D
seedo

Postby Aussie Joe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:22 am

ergocentric wrote:
Aussie Joe wrote:If your jet can take the weight of the 2200mAh nanotech... do it!!! It will go faster because it will have a much much higher "C" rating allowing the voltage to stay higher for longer! :P

even with the same C rating the available current will be higher because: available current = capacity x C rating
One thing to keep in mind about C rating is if you require a higher C rating you are getting shorter flights
1C = one hour
12C = five minutes
30C = two minutes
Who wants a two minute flight time?

seedo was useing 1300mAh 25-35-c batterys and you ( ergocentric) were talking about 15-c batterys I was talking about "NANOTECHs" thay have much higher realistic "C" rateing

seedo drewing too much amps for his battery "c"rateing witch is the reason for the battery puffing and that is very bad for battery life and in extreme cases may cause a lipo fire.

Up gradeing from 1300mAh to 2200mAh WILL give a longer flight times. (if the model can take the extra weight)

If you can buy a battery with twice the "C" rateing for only a few dollars more (HK) I would highley recommend it next time you go shopping.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby seedo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 am

Aussie Joe wrote:(if the model can take the extra weight)

The new problem now is that i don't know if the plane is gonna be able to take the extra wight :oops:
seedo

Postby Aussie Joe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:12 am

Dont worry, in the "RCG" links from ergocentric- some people are using 2200mAh and I think it is the same model as yours, but thay are pushing the battery back to where the Rx is for the right CG.
To only get 5 minutes from your original 1300 battery and your flying style (WOT) that is normal. Higher "c"rated battery would have prevented the puffing battery. Electric helicopters doing hard 3D get a similar run times as ducted fan models e.g +- 5 min when worked hard.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby seedo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Hello guys :D

i did some testing with my HK-010 watt-meter and here is some facts:

the ESC i used is Turnigy plush 30A, Motor 4400KV, Battery 2200mAh nano-tech 35-70C 11.1v

the motor draws at max 26A
and produce power that reaches 288 watt

i was really impressed with how much power i got from this setup and i think i will face no problem flying this jet even if the battery in the front because i made the plane stand vertically and i felt the plane want to push my hand off and launch from the ground.

also can someone help me to know how long this setup will give me flight time?

so i'll have to go to the field and see what heppens
seedo

Postby ergocentric » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm

2200mAh = 2.2 Ah
2.2 Ah / 26 A = .085h (5 minutes)

this is calculated at full throttle, you will get more time for better throttle management
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Aussie Joe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:23 pm

seedo wrote:i think i will face no problem flying this jet even if the battery in the front

I hope you checked the "center of gravity", jets without a rear stabilizer and flying wings are naturally sensitive to the center of gravity, I have 2 eurofighter typhoons and have seen this my self. I can notice the differnce if battery is moved by 10mm to front or back.
Aussie Joe

Postby seedo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

ok i fixed the CG and pushed the battery towards the back more :D

"Update"

I'd fly the mirage today

Super WOW!!!

'Update"

Dear Members am sad to announce that the Art-tech Mirage 2000 can not fly with an 2200mah 3s battery, i tries all solutions never really worked and if it does it lands hard for that i lost the nose tip and i had a huge crack in the nose, no big problem its fixable, to fly this jet properly with the thrust am getting of 500g you need to use the 1300mah 3s battery and and also i will remove the fixed landing gear so it preform better with the smaller batteries.

i would like to thank all who supported me and wrote their feedback it was very useful and i learnd many things from this experience
seedo

Postby seedo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 pm

please read my last reply
conclusion:

for a jet 1 meter long and 800g of wight, 500g of thrust its not enough for it.
seedo

Postby mackeyjones » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 am

First of all the C rating is actually the Recommended Disharge Rating, Usually there is a recommend Disharge Rating, and a Burst Discharge rating. The motor draw determines how long your flight will be, higher watt motor = less time, same as flying flat out will reduce the time you can fly compared to flying half throttle with a few full throttle passes. Jets typically need a high C battery, because they need to be flying at a higher speed and your motor and batteries are working harder. A higher capacity battery will allow you to fly longer, but the cost is a heavier battery.

In your original post it sounds like your speed contoller was reduced to idle, to tell you the battery was getting flat, thats what the ESC does, it makes sure your motor cuts off leaving enough power in the battery so your control surfaces still work. If you cut the throttle to Idle it will allow you a short burst of power again, then it will cut.
mackeyjones

PreviousNext

Return to Help Needed