I'm all ears

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

Re: I'm all ears

Postby kev.au » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Hey Bruce, great forum/videos.

I have a old Futaba 7C 36mHz transmitter that i killed about 4 years ago by plugging a head tracker into the trainer port, no power, no nothing. I was hopping it would be a simple fix (fuse) but i'm in way over my head when it comes to anything electronic.

I'd be keen on sending it your way if you're willing to take a look at it?.

Any help would be appreciate.

Cheers, Kev.
kev.au

Postby CentralOregon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I am relatively new to RC flying - I have a turnigy 9x radio - the right lever in the side to side motion quit working - I have switched servos - and it is not the servo - front back motion works and the left lever still works as before - it was working on one flight - I landed-- changed battery-- started the plane then took off again and the rudder was not responding - it crashed - I could send back to hong kong but trying to figure it out before I do that. thanks in advance
CentralOregon

Postby Kamu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:28 am

CentralOregon wrote:I am relatively new to RC flying - I have a turnigy 9x radio - the right lever in the side to side motion quit working - I have switched servos - and it is not the servo - front back motion works and the left lever still works as before - it was working on one flight - I landed-- changed battery-- started the plane then took off again and the rudder was not responding - it crashed - I could send back to hong kong but trying to figure it out before I do that. thanks in advance

When you go to the 'display' menu option and use the stick, does it perform as you'd expect it to?
Kamu

Postby Oops » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Never spotted this "all ears" section hidden away here. Lets test it ;-)

Is there a signal generator which works like an extra channel using a small pot or so. I have the FY21AP autopilot and AP117 osd. Now, I have "only" 8 channels and all are in use but need an extra two channels to operate the pan/tilt of the camera.
The FY21 needs two channels but one could be fixed to autobalance mode which is the default when no input comes in. However, the instructions warn that this input should not left unconnected. The OSD has two modes when not connected but it would be nice if I can stick it to any of the five modes.

Thinking further, it should be possible that when a combination of channels or channel position is used then an extra channel gets activated. Let say, the throttle is below a certain % or the flaps are down...

This would free up two channels.

Thanks.
Oops

Postby rogueqd » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:02 am

Oops wrote:Is there a signal generator which works like an extra channel using a small pot or so.

Thinking further, it should be possible that when a combination of channels or channel position is used then an extra channel gets activated. Let say, the throttle is below a certain % or the flaps are down....
Using mixes to replace some switches, like flaps, sounds like it could work. It might be a bit clunky tho.

There is a mod for the Hobby King T6A transmitter that adds 6 extra switches. You use a binary encoder (made from resistors) to encode the switch positions into a single channel, and then have an opposite decoder on the plane plugged in to that channel.

I guess you're biggest problem is where you can fit 6 extra switches on the 9x. :)

Edit: I just noticed that he's using an AeroQuad programmable board to decode the signal, so you might need to invent a decoder. Bruce?
rogueqd

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks rogueqd. The easy way out is have the extra channels manually fixed at any setting before flight by the onboard signal generator (or whatever this is called). This would be for the OSD and balanced mode on the FY21.

Then the more difficult option is to use a combination and/or setting of channels which are recognised by some gadget onboard. When conditions are right then the extra channel switches to what you want. For instance moving flaps over a 10% range (which does not influence the flight too much) causes the extra channel to move over a 100% range. If this is the tilt on the camera then 0% flap is normal camera position but 10% flaps would be 100% on the tilt servo (or whatever range preset. Then moving further then 10% moves the camera up again (at 20% flaps the camera is home again and anything over 20% flaps does not do anything. The flaps could be set exponational to still get a fine adjustment over the first 10%.

Just brainstorming here.
Oops

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

I see that Hobbyking has a "simple servo tester". Wonder if that would work for my simple option?
Oops

Postby kaptain_zero » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 am

A servo tester will allow you to manually set one to four channels to the same setting. In your case, wanting this to be airborne, you'll probably strip the tester of it's casing, knob and other hardware, leaving just the circuit board. One could of course cobble up such a controller from scratch if one has the electronics knowledge in the first place.

If you have already used up all 8 channels on your receiver, perhaps you could think of ways to reduce the number of channels you have used to control the servos and whatnot that you already have. You may well have thought of this already, but y-cables and simple mixers can reduce the number of control channels required, freeing up a channel or two for other things.

Regards

Kaptain "Just thinking out loud" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:57 am

kaptain zero, I presume I cannot mix the elevator, rudder, ailerons and flaps (I realy like the slow landing and steeper finals with these flaps on this slippery glider). Nor the ESC or the three autopilot and OSD channels? This makes eight!

Hobbyking has a very small single channel "Simple Servo Tester" which could do the trick. I have also thought of installing my other receiver and use the failsafe function to preset the channels needed: switch it on after binding the transmitter to the present receiver and I will have eight channels which are fixed.

Can I use two receivers and one Turnigy transmitter?
Oops

Postby ergocentric » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Oops: I would suggest a second transmitter and receiver pair.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

PreviousNext

Return to Help Needed