Tricopter

Talk about helicopter airframes, rotors, heads etc.

Tricopter

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 am

It was a cold windy day with nothing to do but wait for new parts to arrive,or so I thought, then I remembered, I had all these bits laying around from my first quad build.
Out of boredom was born my tricopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsq55fexnvA

Some spare timber, some scrap 3 ply add two-pack glue and a whole bunch of zip ties. Not copied from any plan I just made sure that the flight controller (KK2.0 v1.6) was placed equidistant from all motor shafts.
From first cut this was flying in around 2 hours, I was really stoked at how easy it was to control.
I have since broken both front arms, repaired with glue and zip ties. The original yaw servo (19g) had plastic gears, they lasted 3 flights, it now sports a 9g MG from Turnigy 6 flights and going strong.
Flight time, around 12 min on a 3S 30C 2650mAh.

I'm now looking to clean up the appearance using aluminium box for spars, aluminised plastic sheets for the frame body, Bird Dog motors, carbo props for reliability and extented flight times.
If there is an interest I'll post pics.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Tricopter

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 am

I'm now looking to clean up the appearance

Well I suppose the next things you'll be buying will be a CNC milling machine, a lathe and a pillar drill to make the bits more professional, perhaps you can claim you need them for making a cabinet for a 55inch TV! :) :lol:
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am

To late, I'd already made the TV stand/cabinet, that cost her a sliding mitre drop saw. If I could just talk her into decorative planter boxes I might just get that CNC mill :lol: :lol:
She was impressed with my tri, even stops doing the house work to watch when I'm flying. It has even amazed my work colleagues and friends, they have all gone from ridicule to an awed interest :shock: . Amazing what a few pieces of wood and a battery can achieve. 8-)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Amazing what a few pieces of wood and a battery can achieve. 8-)

as they say in guantanamo!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:28 am

The timber frame was a good learning curve but due to pilot inexperience :shock: she didn't last long. Lost orientation at about 60m so did the only thing sensible and killed the power, at least it all landed in the one spot.

The new improved version is now up and running.............this could be my entry into FPV multirotors :D 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcReF9V_W0
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am

cynr100

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

New Metal Version T-Copter Looks great, and you will have to tell me what I,m doing wrong, I shake my box, and nothing come out, nut packing peanuts LOL :lol:
Jolly-Swagman

Return to Airframes