turnigy 9x replacement mainboard

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

turnigy 9x replacement mainboard

Postby cheeba1980 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 am

Hello all,

I dread to admit i just blew up my 9x :( , very embarrassed, but i connected my new shinny tx lipo that just arrived in the mail with reverse polarity and all the magic smoke (and some magic light :shock: ) departed my poor radio. So i have seen the host here at rc model reviews with a spare mainboard in his possession and was wondering if they can be purchased from somewhere?

CHEERS
cheeba1980

Re: turnigy 9x replacement mainboard

Postby thos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

You can order one from flysky but they use fedex or equivalent to post which is nearly the same price as a new radio. The main board should be able to be repaired. I have read on a forum possibly rcgroups about repairing the 9x board. Also google gruvin9x is designing an upgarded 9x board which you may be able to purchase, but I think by the time you add all the components it will be not much less than buying a new radio.
thos

Postby ergocentric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 pm

You can replace the voltage regulators and capacitors, test it with a voltmeter first, you may get lucky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1251633
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Yep, it's worth replacing the caps and regulator. More often than not, that'll fix the problem.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cheeba1980 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am

Thankyou all for replys and info.

I have reviewed the info posted and am on my way to jaycar to buy some replacement components. The 22uf cap has blown itself apart and the corner is missing off the 5v vREG, Testing say the cap is cactus but vREG is fine, I will buy a vREG anyway. Have a new radio on the way just in case so i decided to buy an AVR programmer and tinker a bit!

Thanks again
cheeba1980

Postby ergocentric » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 pm

cheeba1980 wrote:Thankyou all for replys and info.

I have reviewed the info posted and am on my way to jaycar to buy some replacement components. The 22uf cap has blown itself apart and the corner is missing off the 5v vREG, Testing say the cap is cactus but vREG is fine, I will buy a vREG anyway. Have a new radio on the way just in case so i decided to buy an AVR programmer and tinker a bit!

Thanks again

Melting components can sometimes damage the copper traces on the board, so check those too.

Capacitors are available at BGMicro in Texas cheaply, I posted the link on RCG, http://www.bgmicro.com/CAP1122.aspx
ergocentric

Postby cheeba1980 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:44 am

Hello again,

I have replaced my components, now my radio turns on, but has a continual tone and an 'EPROM ERROR' message. Has this fried the chip or simply wiped it? What would you guys recommend to try next? My new 9x has arrived which is good but would like to get the other one back up as a buddy box at least if possible.

Thanks

p.s. thanks ergocentric for your parts info but i am in aus. luckily i have a components store nearby.
cheeba1980

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Sounds like you may have more problems with that board.

You could always try reflashing it to see if that fixes things. Possibly the EEPROM memory was simply corrupted.

Try a "reset" -- holding down the (from memory) exit key while turning the radio on.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cheeba1980 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:58 pm

hello again,

Tried the reset but still comes up with the error message, my AVR Pocket programmer arrived yesterday so i will try a re-flash this weekend if i have time. If that does not work i might buy a couple of mainboards from flysky. i looked on the website but could not find the mainboards, do you need to email them for prices?

CHEERS
cheeba1980

Postby ergocentric » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:08 am

if you get the text 'eprom error' at least most of the radio is working, good luck
ergocentric

Return to Radios and Servos