Aurora 9 and Optic 6 buddying. A tale of patience...

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Do you find buddy or trainer capabilities relevant?

Sure, it is essential
29%
It is good to have
57%
Not at all
14%
What is buddy?
No votes

Total votes : 7

Aurora 9 and Optic 6 buddying. A tale of patience...

Postby jcmiguel » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 am

I am getting back to model building and flying! What a better way to teach my son patience, frustration and joy (not necessary at this order ;) ) ? We joined the SAA, visited the local club and arranged some flying lessons. We chosen 2 models, one for traditional building within the following year and an ARTF electric glider. RC was dead easy, Hitec Aurora 9, considering cost/performance. In our first lesson, some difficulties we had with the training. The instructor suggested I get another radio for binding and after reading and thinking, the chosen was Optic 6 (not the sport). It seemed obvious as it was from the same manufacturer, inexpensive yet powerful enough to grow. And I could use Hitec receivers across the fleet...
I ordered from Elite Models on the 13/Jul, hoping to take full advantage of our Scottish summer(??) and it arrived a few days later. The transmitter was working well and I installed the receiver into my plane. Now, buddy was complicated. I had to buy the buddy cable for the system (#58321 Full package).
I patiently followed instructions from Aurora manual (Optic manual was poor on that), browsed online discussions, checked the firmware versions, etc. Maybe it was my Aurora, purchased befor the change to J Perkins... Finally, I started to grow frustrated from what was going on and went to my instructor. It worked on his radio with my Aurora! Further, with simulators (ClearViewRC and RC PlaneMaster) Aurora would work but Optic 6 would not. Some calls to J Perkings and HITEC USA and I was sending my brand new radio back together with the training cable.
The delays
On the 02/Aug my radio went special delivery to Elite Models. I didn't ask for a refund (which was within my rights from their terms and conditions) since I wanted to have it solved ASAP and get back to fly; summer was getting thin. After a number of calls and non-materialised promisses, I wrote a letter on the 18/Aug expressing my frustration and demanding a solution. They promptly apologised and sent the transmitter to J Perkins (although I had the impression they were replacing with a new one and sending it back to me). More calls and yesterday I was told that they could have replaced since they had none in stock. Today the final stab....
Elite Model called explaining that J Perkins tested my Optic. They also tested brand new Auroras and Optics and the veredict is that the Optic 6 does not buddy to the Aurora!
Worse, this is not a problem of my particular radio but is shared with all the Optic they tried. Furter, the Optic can buddy to another Optic. Their veredict is that there is a firmware problem with the Aurora 9!!!
Pardon, I said? But the Aurora buddy to the Futaba, the JR, even the cheap 4CH Art-tech transmitter that came with the plane!!
I am writing this hoping someone can shed some light for me to decide what to do. I love my Aurora 9, spend money with it and cannot return it anymore. I was offered a full refund from Elite Models for the Optic but then.... what am I going to buy? If I go for a different brand I will have to deal with multiple receivers and to stay with Hitec I need absolute guarantee that biding will work.
Any help will be appreciated...
Still hoping for joy, altough not from Scottish weather
Regards
Carlos
Note: I am posting this into a number of forums that I subscribe and sending a copy to HITEC USA as well as Elite Models and J Perkins. I will post follow-ups and intend to be fair to all involved parts.
Last edited by jcmiguel on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcmiguel

Re: Aurora 9 and Optic 6 Biding. A tale of patience...

Postby Coverdown » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 am

You could buy a new or used module based transmitter that you know is buddy capable with you Aurora 9 and get the compatible Hitec module.
For Futaba type http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/aircra ... odule.html
For JR type http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/aircra ... ra24j.html
This way you can use your Hitec Receivers.
I would contact Hitec again to be sure that everything works together.

An alternate option is to go with a different module system like FrSky.
You would have to switch the module in the Aurora 9 as well.
The big disadvantage is that if you want to use your Hitec receivers again, you would have to switch modules again.
Coverdown

Buddies

Postby ergocentric » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:41 pm

In Canada the consumer protection laws are quite specific, if you ask and they tell you that it will do something, then it doesn't, money refunded.

i.e. "will this car be able to tow my snowmobile trailer?"

after all this why didn't they give you an old transmitter to use as a buddy-box for the summer?

please shoot this guy an email: http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 pm

two other things, why does the Hitec cable only work one way around, and how is it different from Futaba?
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:45 pm

That's interesting ... I have an A9 and an O6 here. I'll see what I can find out.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jcmiguel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:54 am

Thank you for looking at it. I just spoke to J Perking (Jeffens), nice chap. They are looking into it but he confirms the problem, even following Alan's instructions. Weird. I will update whenever I get some answers. An interesting aspect of this tale is that I could use the Aurora for the flight simulator on the PC but not the Optic 6.
Carlos
jcmiguel

Postby jcmiguel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:03 pm

ergocentric wrote:two other things, why does the Hitec cable only work one way around, and how is it different from Futaba?

Hitec Aurora uses a mono cable while the Optic uses a 6 pin cable. This is because Aurora is a 6 cell powered system while Optic is an 8 cell and one cannot power other. Also, the cable setting allows the transmitter to be disable on the student side. That is why you have 2 6 pin adapters for the connection (1 as master and the other as student).
jcmiguel

Re: Aurora 9 and Optic 6 buddying. A tale of patience...

Postby jcmiguel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 pm

I just received a letter from Hitec USA. However I am not authorised to disclose their statement according to the legal footnote....
Jeezz... what is wrong with making a statement?
jcmiguel

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Just stumbled across this through another forum:
(It seems quite clear on the six to eight cell cable)

Q. What cord do I need?

A. Hitec provide two training lead accessory packs:
#58320 TRAINER CABLE (between 6 cell transmitter battery systems)
[Do Not Attempt to substitute/use a standard stereo cable as the Hitec cable plugs are cross wired]
#58321 TRAINER CABLE FULL PACKAGE (#58320 + Slave DIN + Master DIN) - For use between a 6 cell transmitter battery system and 8 cell transmitter battery system. (NB: All 8 cell type TX used as a Slave, must have own power supply, i.e. a battery pack installed, refer instructions.)
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 pm

And this:

A. Other Hitec Transmitter as Slave/T.Pupil or Master TX.
a) Slave/T.Pupil: Ensure "Student/Buddy" TX has a fully charged battery installed because no power is transferred from the Aurora.
b) Hitec Eclipse, Optic 6, Focus DIN plug TX as a buddy and the proper combination of Hitec #58321/Student DIN Adaptor cable, the RF circuit is bypassed and there is no need to remove the crystal or module. However, if using a Futaba TX as a Slave, RF circuit is not bypassed and crystal (or module if fitted) must be removed to prevent RF creating problems for other fliers (or take relevant frequency tag/pin).
(Recommend best practice, to avoid mistakes, is to remove the crystal/module from all slave/buddy TX other than another Aurora.)
c) Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Student" Tag and attach to a stereo plug of the main cable. Connect cables to respective TX and turn both on.
d) Refer section "1. Trainer Set Up/Trim Function." above and Hitec #58321 cable package instruction sheet attached to this post and ensure servo direction/trims match Master (no movement of servos when Aurora dwitch "H" is toggled.)
e) Optic Sport - refer attached instruction sheet.
f) Master: Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Master" Tag and attach to a stereo plug of the main cable. Connect cables to respective TX and turn them both on.
g) Refer section "4. Aurora: Pupil/Slave TX Mode" above, selecting [T.Pupil] mode and set-up the Aurora to match the settings of the Master TX.

it specifically mentions Optic 6
ergocentric

Next

Return to Radios and Servos