FrSky "We Have A Problem"

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

FrSky "We Have A Problem"

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:17 am

I have had some strange things happening with my FrSky module system, I have a JR Dx911 with a FrSky module system and when I had a plane crash after it went into fail safe I did some investigating and when I taxied my next FrSky equiped Plane out to the strip it went into fail safe to but thankfully this time on the ground . When trying to find the fault I initialy thaught that it was a broken wire in tha aerial but when I swapped to annother I had on hand the same thing occured , now as both these planes had flow verry well for a few weeks on this system I knew something was wrong so I contacted the store I purchased the system from and sent it back , after contacting the retailer they sent me a new module .
Module 2 , now I thaught this was problem solved but when I noticed that maybe 1 in 5 times when switching my transmitter on the Red Led on the FrSky module did not light up , this is a minor concern compared with what happened next ! . While binding my now repaired delta with annother receiver I had a lot of trouble getting them to bind and when the did I found that every now and then when switching on my transmitter the led on the receiver would keep blinking signaling that there was no signal from the transmitter "but wait theres more" after a few seconds the light would go solid and then the flight serfaces would return to the programed flight settings and quickly go to failsafe again with the led flashing ,this will continue on and on .
If I switch my transmitter off and on again with a few second break inbetween the system will work again . Now this all seems a bit disconcerting but I have found if the link is solid at the start everything work as it should .
I also had two recievers in two different planes switched on to eliminate the first receiver as being the problem , I also tryed to duplicate these faults with my spektrum module and receiver but they worked fine every time .
So what do i do now ? ........well Im trying to get hold of annother JR radio to absolutly eliminate a radio fault but ill keep trying with what ive got for now .
Please let me know If any one else has any problems and if anyone has any ideas how to fix this.
Last edited by Wattsy on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wattsy

Re: FrSky "We Have A Problem"

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:22 am

Check that the transmitter module is connecting reliably with the pins in the back of the radio.

As I mentioned in my review, some of the plastic has not been that good and this can cause the pins to be deflected somewhat such that they can intermittently lose contact with the contacts inside the transmitter module.

With the module in place and the radio on, try wiggling the module and see if the LED flickers (more than usual) or if your receiver goes into failsafe.

If that's what happens you should tell your dealer that you want the newer module which is a better (proper) fit.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:29 am

I will have a good look at this right now and reply soon but it looks as if it fits perfectly.
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 am

I have removed the PCB from the module and found what looks like corrosion around the tracks near the CPU , I can send you the Photos so you can give me your opnion if you like ?
Wattsy

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:21 am

Feel free to post them here if you want, so we can all have a look.
RCModelReviews

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 am

White corrosion on PCB !
Attachments
DSCF0146.JPG
This white corrosion near the main processor could be causing my promlems ?
DSCF0146.JPG (80.91 KiB) Viewed 16350 times
DSCF0145.JPG
Look at the tracks leading to the CPU , they have white corrosion .
DSCF0145.JPG (90.49 KiB) Viewed 16350 times
Wattsy

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 am

That doesn't look right.

I'd ask for a replacement. It looks as if the CPU has been changed and resoldered by hand. Not good enough.

I'm sure your dealer will sort it out, who'd you buy it from?
RCModelReviews

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 am

I may be wrong, but this looks more like an improperly cleaned PCB than corrosion.
I've had problems with receivers I used to make under the brand name "JMP" . It was eventually traced to the remaining soldering flux gradually absorbing humidity and introducing low resistance between the tracks and chip pins. This did not show up immediately and was not detected by test right after assembly.
The solution I applied was to clean the board with acetone and a toothbrush before checking and adjusting the receivers.
Maybe you could try to clean the white residue with acetone as I did and see if the tracks and pins are actually corroded or just covered with white muck before retesting?
JMP_blackfoot

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:51 am

The Module was purchased from Extreme Rc in Melbourne Australia , I will send them an E-mail but there probably getting sick of me causing trouble !
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:05 am

I have contacted Extreme RC and Im sure they will give me the good sevice the have givin me previosly .
Wattsy

Next

Return to Radios and Servos