FrSky "We Have A Problem"

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: FrSky "We Have A Problem"

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:17 am

JMP_blackfoot wrote:I may be wrong, but this looks more like an improperly cleaned PCB than corrosion.
I've had problems with receivers I used to make under the brand name "JMP" . It was eventually traced to the remaining soldering flux gradually absorbing humidity and introducing low resistance between the tracks and chip pins.

Yep, that's why I suggested that the CPU had been replaced and/or hand-soldered because in an automated process the flux is automatically removed (if used at all).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby JiB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Even if the chip was replaced, what would be wrong with that? The symptom is much more consistent intermittent contact to the module then with some white muck on the PCB.
JiB

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 pm

The contact integrity was the first thing tested while the module was acting up and it was found to be ok . If you remove the back cover of the module while it is inserted you can see the pins going the full lenth into the socket on thr module .
Contact seems to have no bearing on the fault as it will act up even after the system has been working , as I said in my first post If a solid link is made first every thing works fine .
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 pm

When I look at my own photos it actualy highlights just how dodgy the soldering looks .
Wattsy

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:44 am

I've received an email from Mark of Extreme Radio Control Australia (the FrSky agents there). He can't seem to get onto the forums -- the RCMR website seems to be problematic when accessing from some parts of Australia for some reason.

He's going to send another module out to replace the affected unit and he'll be checking it in his own 9XII before it's sent.

That seems like a good level of support.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Wattsy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 am

It has always been my opinion that its just bad luck that I had received 2 faulty Modules . I certainly dont put any blame on the Reailer "Extreme Rc" and it may seem that I have indeed caused these faults myself and those who know me personaly will confirm that If I had infact caused the problems occuring I would have said so . I look forward to dealing with Mark in the future and hope that he replies to my latest E-mail so I can get this sorted before my next flying sesion . I have been trying to get hold of annother module bassed JR so I can undoutably rule out my TX but it seems a long shot as the 2 module were doing completely
different things . and again why is my spektrum module working pefectly ?
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 am

I must quickly say that Mark from Extreme RC has been in contact and we are trying to resolve the problem , I will keep everyone updated , I just have to get hold of another module bassed radio to test with . It seems everyone is going to Hitec around here ?
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 pm

I have just installed an internal module hack in my JR2610 and everything is working as it should , I now will try the module hack in my 9x aswell .
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:33 am

I have just completted my 9X11 internal module hack and so far so good , every thing is working well with quick power on off responce and reset times . The hack wires were soldered to the back of the JR module pins so I would assume the externel module only utilises these three pins aswell . ppm, + , grnd . I will still wait for a module bassed JR radio to completely rule out my radio as the problem and I should have that in a week .
By the way the hack module was extremely easy to install and I have done this on my JR 2610 aswell.
Wattsy

Postby Wattsy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 am

Just came home from a full days flying using the FrSky internal module hack and im pleased to say every thing went perfect .
Not a single ploblem at all . I will keep this thread updated on when I try the JR module in my new radio which should be here this week .
Wattsy

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos