Two lockout crashes with FrSky

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Two lockout crashes with FrSky

Postby siang » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:35 am

That's a worry. My mate bought 10 unit back after my recomendation, intending to change all his models to Frsky. So far we have use one on his Trex 500 without any issue. I've confident on their technology after reading your review but I'm now worry about their quality control or maybe production system. Is there a way to test them b4 actually fly with them?
siang

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:35 am

I think it's important to do basic checks (range etc) on all RC gear before you use it, regardless of who makes it.

One only has to look at the stuff-ups that major manufacturers have made to realize that nothing is perfect.

However, there are now close to 20 FrSky receivers in our club and they're all working 100% so I think they're as reliable as any.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby beau0090_99 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

I would concur with Bruce,
My lack of confidence is not necessarily with FrSky, but maybe with what I did upon receiving the new case. I may have bent the coaxial too tightly to get it into the hole.
Bruce, what are your thoughts about the range check numbers? Is this close to what you got on reduced-range with the original firmware Tx modules? I wish I did a more thorough range check of the biplane and the EDF jet. I really think that I may have caught the problems. I have flown 4 other models (all nitro) with my other Rx's and they have performed flawlessly. I do think that one of the antennas in the biplane Rx might have either come loose on install, or from the factory and I could have easily reattached it before flight. That may have saved it entirely.
I have 7 Rx's and all but two have flown.
I was hoping not to distract from them, I do have confidence in them, especially knowing their great customer service so far - they have been very proactive and helpful.
Best regards,
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:17 am

beau0090_99 wrote:Bruce, what are your thoughts about the range check numbers? Is this close to what you got on reduced-range with the original firmware Tx modules?
Curtis

The original modules I got to review didn't have the power-down range-test capabilities but I can check with the ones I'm using myself (which I bought about six months ago).
RCModelReviews

Postby siang » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:21 am

Hmmm, I hope you're all right. He wont be back till the end of month. I'll make sure we do the range test on any new frsky rx that he want to use/change. I hope he dont have to do it everytime he went out flying thou.
siang

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:19 am

I range test in each new model just to be sure. With 2.4GHz there are a number of factors that can affect the performance of a receiver.

One of our novice members was getting occasional lockouts with his FrSky system so I took a look at his installation. He'd just wrapped the antennas around the servo wires to keep them tidy. I was surprised it had worked as well as it did!

We repositioned the antennas and it's been perfect ever since.

We also had a guy in our club smash his .46-powered Long-EZ on its maiden flightbecause of a similarly poor installation -- except he was using Futaba FM gear. He'd run the antenna directly next to an aileron extension and hadn't bothered to properly range-test before flying. About 200 yards away it just nose-dived straight into the ground.
RCModelReviews

Postby RobC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am

When I first checked the initial release Futaba module with an 8 channel rx I got 150 yards ground range with both the model and tx at chest height. This was with a powered glider where one aerial exited each side of the fuselage. We recently range tested some other models for comparison of a known good unit against a suspect module and were getting > 110-120 yards (ie to the edge of the field) with the good set and half that with a dodgy module. This was with the models sat on the ground and the transmitters at normal operating height. Even with the tx aerial pointing straight at the model I was getting around 100 yards.

Bob
RobC

Postby Eva » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 am

beau0090_99 wrote:Hi Eva,
I just sent you an email and I would appreciate a replacement Tx module and cable, just to play it safe.

I did do a reduced-range test on a couple of Rx's yesterday after retrieving my biplane from the swamp.

I tested 2-4channel Rx's. One was the Rx that crashed in my EDF jet, the other was one that has not flown. Both of them reacted the same way. When I had the Tx in reduced range mode, I walked away from the TX (using the servo test mode and setting the fail safe to full travel on one of the channels). When I got to about 350 feet (100 meters) they both locked out completely.

I tested 2-8 channel Rx's. One was a known good Rx and the other was the one I pulled out of the swamp in the biplane. I let it dry and decided to fire it up. I needed to rebind the Rx to the Tx, but it functioned mostly fine afterward. One thing I noticed is that one of the antennas was loose and fell off, when I split the case. I replaced it, but it was still quite loose and would come off without much trouble. When I pulled it out of the plane, it was secured to the Rx, but I was not sure of it's integrity. After testing both of these Rx's they both worked fine, but locked out at 350 feet like the 4ch. When I secured the antenna on the one 8ch, it worked that far, but without doing that, I had maybe 100 ft.

I have one of the older Tx modules with the older firmware for the reduced range check, but I am not sure what the range should be. I did not have time to do a full range check yet, but can later this weekend if I can find time.

Eva, would you still like to send me the Tx module and cable to test? I would like to have a side-by-side comparison if possible.

You can decide what you would like to do. Thank you for the help. I believe the Biplane crash was the bad antenna, and the EDF crash may have been bad antenna placement (behind a battery, or not straight - just laziness).
Thanks,
Curtis

Hi Curtis,
The parcel will be sent out this afternoon. Please let me know when you get it. What's more, I think you need some skills to unpack it, haha~ :)
Eva
Eva

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos