Stock Turnigy 9X Range - Anyone have any idea?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Stock Turnigy 9X Range - Anyone have any idea?

Postby bmsweb » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 am

Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of range I can expect out of a stock standard Turnigy 9X. My son and i have been getting into FPV and we're at the stage where we would like to venture out further. Haven't done a range test as yet but plan to this weekend. I would be interested if anyone has any experience in this area.

We may go down the path of the FrSky mod also . . but haven't decided as yet.

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb

Re: Stock Turnigy 9X Range - Anyone have any idea?

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:39 am

FrSky will give you an easy range check feature that reduces the power for testing... Mine said I had over 3 klm range...?
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 pm

No idea for the stock Turnigy range, but for flying FPV I'd really want to have some sort of fail-safe, such as FrSky has.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 pm

And so easy to set up... Put sticks where you want them, ie:... low throttle, left rudder, and press button on Rx, done....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby bmsweb » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:28 pm

We just got back from the we our local park and did an on the ground range test using the 5.8Ghz 200mw system with the IBCrazy antenna's along with a standard Turnigy 9X. On the ground we are easily getting 500meters! I couldn't go any further away on the ground as there was no more park left. But our next flight test should be interesting :D

What we did was set Thomas up with the Ground station and the RC TX and I drove to the other end of our park (the one we fly at on our videos). Once at the furthest end, I zeroed the GPS and drove back and once I got back to the base station the OSD had 510meters!
bmsweb

Postby seedo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:09 pm

1. 9X range is maximum up to 500m (glitchy though) in a very open area.
2. I advice you to go with the FRSKY idea (strongly recommended).
seedo

Postby bmsweb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:32 am

seedo wrote:1. 9X range is maximum up to 500m (glitchy though) in a very open area.

I'm not sure where you got this information from? Are you saying you've tested it and at 500m it was glitchy? If so how did you test this? If have 500m range on the ground and a locked in single even when the model was in the car, I can only assume the range would be further in the air.

In any case my test confirms minimum of 500m range.

FrSky won't be an option for the next few weeks as I don't have receivers yet. I'm trying to determine safe distance for flying now.
bmsweb

Postby seedo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:04 pm

bmsweb wrote:
seedo wrote:1. 9X range is maximum up to 500m (glitchy though) in a very open area.

I'm not sure where you got this information from? Are you saying you've tested it and at 500m it was glitchy? If so how did you test this? If have 500m range on the ground and a locked in single even when the model was in the car, I can only assume the range would be further in the air.

In any case my test confirms minimum of 500m range.

FrSky won't be an option for the next few weeks as I don't have receivers yet. I'm trying to determine safe distance for flying now.

i tested it in air with my glider, and it crashed :cry:
seedo

Postby bmsweb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

It sounds like there was something wrong with your receiver. The reason I say this is I have a Turnigy Receiver that has about 10meters range. Seriously! I haven't had time to open it up and have a look at it. Lucky we did a range test before flying the bixler for the first time. I know visually I wouldn't be able to fly out 500meter. Even in one of our FPV flights when I was just over 200meters away it was difficult for my son to work out the models orientation so its unlikely you would fly out that far in most circumstances.

Check your receiver or swap it out for another. Their is a thread in another forum where someone got 3.5 klms on stock Turnigy. Mind you that was up high on a hill. Also I know the placement of your receiver antenna makes the world of difference. I always have mine away from servo leads, motor and ESC. On the bixler I have the the antenna pointing in towards the nose.
bmsweb

Postby bmsweb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 am

Put in an order for a FrSky Receiver from HK . . looks like I'll have to stay around the 500m until my Receiver comes in :(
bmsweb

Next

Return to Radios and Servos