Strange 2.4Ghz antenna

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Strange 2.4Ghz antenna

Postby Aussie Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 am

Tranworld wrote:
yes its a 3rd party supplied antenna that can be easily fixed into a chassis with 2 screws thats the main advantage there

nah by the looks of it it was desinged to be small and easy to integrate

You seems to think that this design was meant to be easy and save cost, but I would have thought that if that was the sole objective this antenna in the attached photo should be simpler and even lest costly, not having to buy a patented design from Galtronics. Our stock antenna is nothing more than a length of coax with the tip stripped bare and a length of copper tube added on to form the sleeve dipole design, noone own the patent on that and it should be dirt cheap to produce, all they need to do is form a small hole/clip on the case to clip the tube on et voila, I am sure it is cheaper than this stamped piece of metal, in fact newer PCB now even have the antenna etched in. To me this is an expensive way to do it.

Antenna 003.jpg

any antenna you fix within the clutter of pcbs metal strips and cables that is the inside of a transmitter will perform a lot worse

This person modded his TX with an internal PCB antenna from Futaba and found that he has better range!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519967

I am sure it is cheaper than this stamped piece of metal

Steel is much much much cheeper than brass tube, a sheet of steel about ($5 US worth) could punch out/laser cut maybe 20,000 pieces( in no time with CNC), where 20,000 pieces of brass tube for the sleeved dipole would cost much much more $$$ in just raw materials . And WHY do Chinese vendors say copper when thay mean brass, thay all do it AGRRRR.

any antenna you fix within the clutter of pcbs metal strips and cables that is the inside of a transmitter will perform a lot worse

In with the PCB and wires around it ....Yes ....BUT in the space above them inside the top of the case....No..... any shelding would be towards the bottom the case and this would NOT effect your flying. Im just happy with my stock antenna and the 1.5-2 Km range :)
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby Tranworld » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 am

But to do that antenna Linksys will have to tool up with punch die cut and metal forming for an, essentially very limited, number of items (this design is only in the WRT160N V3, even their WRT160N V2 have a different stamped design), on the other hand, short length of coax with the tip stripped bare and a length of copper/brass tube soldered on are made in millions (perhaps by sweatshops in China) for putting in almost all the zillions of short 2.4Ghz wifi antenna in the world. I am sure to the scale of 100 to 1 if not more so the financial may be very skewed in favour of the standard coax design, why bother? And also why bother to patent it? There is a "Pat Pending" stamp for Galtronics on it, you don't patent a cheap and nasty thing that has only limited use, it cost money !
Tranworld

Postby Aussie Joe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:19 am

Tranworld wrote:But to do that antenna Linksys will have to tool up with punch die cut and metal forming for an, essentially very limited, number of items

Very limited number of items for a wireless router? Thay would not go to all that trouble if it was not economical or bad design, Does the antenna work??? I dont know. My main point was the cost of raw materals- copper/brass tube Vs steel sheet in this design of antenna.
Tranworld wrote:There is a "Pat Pending" stamp for Galtronics on it, you don't patent a cheap and nasty thing that has only limited use

Cheap and fit for this design "yes". "Nasty" only if it falls apart.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby Tranworld » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 am

That is precisely my point, it should bring some sort of benefits and is not a cost cutting measure, thus Linksys thinks that it gives them a competitive advantage for them to take the trouble. Having said that, here's some other opinion which I took the liberty to cut and paste here

"Guys, back to school...

The Linksys is a smart implementation of one of the most known and appreciated antennas in the hams' world, a J-Pole. Will be far better than both original whip and the PCB dipole.
There is no wonder there is such antenna inside a router, the laptops use almost all the same design, implemented as flexible PCB, not using tin, as in the router.

Beware about the Rx antennas orientation if using this antenna in the radio: they must be both horizontal, one along the fuselage and one along the wing. Or as 90 degrees V pointing forward of back. No more vertical anyone, placing vertical any antenna is a waste antenna. Also you should aim the model with the radio, moving 90 degrees left or right is the worst case, i.e. pointing to the model with radio lateral sides. "

It make more sense that it is as explained, it gives Linksys router better coverage, wifi routers are under intense scrutiny from industry experts, Linksys is a respected name that they can't afford to smear. If anything I think this is an extra cost to Linksys (but traded off with performance)
Tranworld

Postby Shotglass » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 pm

no its not a j pole the antenna design is an inverted f
and all sorts of pointless patents get submitted every day
also its patent pending not actually accepted as a patent yet (not that that means anything in the us where you can patent round corners)
Shotglass

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos