Turnigy 9X with Flysky module

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9X with Flysky module

Postby glenncol » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 am

Hi Bruce

Mate i have a Turnigy 9x Radio at the moment and i am wanting to put the Frsky system the radio, there is two ways i can go thats either via the DIY hack FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module
or the FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR RX.

What would be the bettery way to go in your opinion?

If the DHT module was the better what is the best way to close of the hole for the orginal antenna?

Thanks
glenncol

Re: Turnigy 9X with Flysky module

Postby chrisjunkie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:46 am

Bruce has actually already made a video about putting in the non-telementary unit. Do the same as him and use the original antenna hole for the new FrSky antenna :-)

Chris
chrisjunkie

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am

Yes, I'd definitely advise going the DIY way over using the module.

The end result is much tidier and you can use the radio on your simulator without having to keep taking the module in and out (which wears the ultra-thin gold plating on the pins -- don't ask how I know ;-))
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby glenncol » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, I'd definitely advise going the DIY way over using the module.

The end result is much tidier and you can use the radio on your simulator without having to keep taking the module in and out (which wears the ultra-thin gold plating on the pins -- don't ask how I know ;-))

Ripper Bruce thanks

With the DIY module in place do you still have to do the diode mod to get the sim working?
glenncol

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Nope... it works on a sim without any mods -- the new DIYs have a diode already in them.
RCModelReviews

Postby FBURDEN » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 am

Bruce, will I need to do the "1 kohm resistor" addition so that up two's 9x's (with DYI Fryskys) in order to use them as TRAINER/BUDDYS?

Thanks!
FBURDEN

Postby FBURDEN » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 am

hmmmmm, I may have found the answer in the following forum: Here they say the resistor addition is not needed:
Can you confirm that?
One more for good reason to abandon the stock radio and go to Frsky......

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... +fix#p4609

Re: How to use er9X with/as a buddy box trainer

Postby ShowMaster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm
The "ppm" fix is only needed if the stock FlySky or Turnigy rf modules is used in the trainer TX. The original modules load the 9x PPM circuit too much to be able to drive two loads, the master and trainer. The load it always there if the modules are plugged in. The resistor raises the load impeadance so tne trainer module can stay in. Not needed if Frsky rf modules are used In the trainer TX.

If you've installed the HK Backlight and not done the jumper "fix" on the HK connector board, the circuit error will fource the TX to "not" put out a PPM signal no matter what you turn on in the 9X menu with or without the resistor 1K mod.
Question?
Do you have the HK backlight installed and is it unmodified?
SM
FBURDEN

Postby pldb64 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 am

I can confirm that 2 turnigy 9x's will work in either sim mode or buddy box trainer mode WITHOUT the resistor mod IF You have installed the FrSky DIY modules. That is exactly my current setup.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby John_Edward » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 am

I'll hijack this thread to ask my slightly related question:

I got the FrSky DIY, and noticed that when I plug a module to my 9X, the DIY still transmits.
I thought about putting a switch so I can turn the DIY on and off, but then I remembered that the DIY antenna might interfere with the module one.
Sadly, I installed the DIY antenna so that it is really, really hard to remove.

Would just tilting the antennas in some funky angles be enough, or do I need to figure a way to remount the antenna so that I can remove it ?
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am

You will probably be okay. Having 2 tuned antennas in close proximity can cause issues with distortion of the radiation pattern (ie: null spots) but if you set them to be 90 degrees to each other you'll minimize that problem.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos