frsky dht 9x TX

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

frsky dht 9x TX

Postby might » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi all
I have just received my 9x TX and the frsky dht with telemetry
Now i am wondering if the 3 wires that needs to be soldered are the same as Bruce descripes in his video of 19/02/2011 ?
That is : top pin yellow = ppm
Second pin black = negative
Bottom pin red = positive

Also i have bought the SUPPO osd. (a cheap chinese model) that has RSSI. The RSSI out has 2 wires one is red(signal?) the other black(ground?)
Does anybody know how to connect theese wires to the frsky d8r-II So i can get it to send the RSSI signal ?
I am quessing the wires go in to the side of the d8r-II but where and how ?

I would apreciate any help on theese matters - Thanks

Jan
might

Re: frsky dht 9x TX

Postby quarry44 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Jan,you're correct about the 3 wires.I haven't used the telemetry connections on my Frsky rx's,but assume there's a specific plug type to be used.But you could always change that to suit your own choice.Just watch the polarity.
quarry44

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 am

I'm pretty sure that * all* the FrSky telemetry receivers automatically send the receivers RSSI without any hookups.

The OSD, used with FPV gear, would be sending *ITS* RSSI through the FPV link. The DHT has it's own little speaker and I assume it does some sort of beeping when the link gets weaker. Perhaps someone could chime in with more detail... I've got the bits, but they are, as of yet, still in their packaging, awaiting installation.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby pldb64 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 am

That is correct - i'm using the DHT DIY Module in the Tx with a D4FR Rx. It works as follows:

In power down range check mode, you initially get the Tx beeping at about 1 second intervals to tell you its in that mode (as well as the LED going green). Then when you RSSI drops to a certain level (just keep walking away from your model to find it), you'll get a different beep to indicate first level warning. If you continue walking away, you'll start getting a double beep to indicate second level warning. The model will still be responding albeit somewhat intermitently until you finally reach the failsafe condition and that then kicks in.

The first and second level warnings also operate in normal power mode.

Although i use ER9X as my FW, i've not done the associated/recommended h/w mods to the Tx to include the telemetery screens and warning level settings so i'm using what comes with the Tx module and Rx as standard.

Hope that helps
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby might » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:55 am

Hi all
Thanks for your answers
So as i understand it all i got to do is solder the 3 wires (and bind the RX) then my dht with telemetry and my 9x is working - plug and play ;)

Now for the osd - as i understand it, i have to connect the 2 wires from the osd to the RX (otherwise how does the osd "sense" that the signal is fading? ) If you look at the picture (ignore the text) there are at least 3 different
ways to connect it ?
I must say that i am new to fpv. but i have read a lot about the subject, but i must admit, this is not easy ;)

Regards

Jan
Attachments
D8R-II(back)[1].jpg
D8R-II(back)[1].jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
might

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Your OSD (on screen display) needs to be connected to your FPV equipment and NOT your models receiver! There should be a connector on the FPV transmitter for the OSD (the one you hook up to your FPV camera on your model aircraft) and you should see the "On Screen Display" in your goggles or whatever it is you use to display your FPV signal, laid directly over the picture from the camera.

The extra connectors on the FrSky receiver are for connecting a hub and or a single sensor to monitor something (the ports are specific regarding the type of signal, you cannot haphazardly plug any sensor in to them) . The hub can have many sensors of various types plugged into it, and all that information would be displayed on an lcd screen, such as sold by FrSky which plugs into that 4 pin outlet on the side of your FrSky TX module you are placing in your radio. It IS possible to have the extra information received from these extra sensors displayed on the LCD screen of a 9X radio, but it requires more modifications to the radio and special firmware which must be programmed into the radio before it will work.

We can probably help you a bit more if you would be so kind as to indicate exactly what FPV hardware you have as well as the OSD device... Perhaps someone here has used that combination of equipment and can offer you more help. At this point, I can only suggest reading the manuals.

Regards

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby might » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Kaptain_zero
Let me start by saying that i really apreciate you taking the time to help a newbie like me ;)
Okay my equipment :

TX : 9x frsky dht (when i get the 3 wires solded)
Rx : frsky d8r-II
Fpv : Hobbyking 900MHZ 800mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera PAL
Osd : Suppo osd v2

I have gotten the fpv and the osd working (see pic 1)
The problem i have is that in the osd manual i have a rssi plug with 2 wires going out (see pic 2)
As i read the manual i can not see what to do with theese 2 wires ? (see pic 3)

I hope theese informations are usefull - if not please let me know and i will try to get them :)
Again thanks a lot for any help

Regards

Jan
Attachments
suppo manual1.JPG
suppo manual1.JPG (153.94 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
suppo opsætning v.4.jpg
suppo opsætning v.4.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
suppo osd1.JPG
suppo osd1.JPG (65.93 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
might

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Jan,

Now I understand.... a separate RSSI output designed to go to the RX. At this point, I am NOT the one to council you further as I don't have experience with your equipment. I do recall reading that the ports on your receiver have different input requirements, but the documentation on the OSD device does not specify what type of output it is generating and so I would have to guess and I refer back to the warning in the OSD docs that if one isn't sure, DON'T HOOK IT UP!

Your RX is already generating it's own RSSI for the control range and you will probably have a good indication of nearing your max video range by seeing noise/dropouts as the range extends.... I don't really see a pressing need for the extra RSSI feed as it would have to be displayed somehow, instead of the beeper which is already working with the FrSky tx/rx and if you are wearing goggles, it'll be hard to read the LCD in front of you.

I strongly suggest using a spotter and possibly even a buddy box while you explore the video range of your system. Once you know the range (hopefully the same or even better than the FrSky, in which case you can simply go by the beeping from the FrSky RSSI), you will have the information you need.

If you are just starting out with FPV AND flying R/C planes, please learn to fly without FPV first.... If you are already accomplished at flying R/C without FPV, then you are ready to jump right in with the FPV bit. I only say this as I do not know your current experience level and just want to cover the bases.

Bruce or anyone, can you shed some more light on the extra RSSI feed for Jan?

Regards

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby might » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:29 am

Hi Christian
Thanks for your answer
I think youre right, i am actually ready for trying fpv (been flying regular plane for about 4 years) with just the frsky rssi.
I just like the idea of having double rssi, since the idea of flying my plane by looking at a 7 inch screen is a bit dounting :shock:
The suppo osd that i have bought is a cheap (55$) Chinese model that not many people have experience with, and the manual is not excatly
extensive. But i guess that is the price for beeing cheap :D
I will contiue trying to find a solution for this problem, and post it here when i find it.
Because i actually think this is a good osd (for the money)
Again thanks a lot for taking the time to help me :)

Regards

Jan
might

Return to Radios and Servos