Turnigy 9x v2

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Turnigy 9x v2

Postby mpthompson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:If I were FlySky, I'd release a separate product called the Generic 9X and ship it with nothing but the boot-loader, a serial or USB port and full documentation as to the hardware. Unfortunately that's simply not going to happen because FlySky have closed ears and no nose for a real market opportunity.

I think that the Chinese companies won't listen until money is waved in their face and then pretty much like any other company you have their undivided attention. Seems there would be an opportunity for a Western business to contract with FlySky build exactly what you have describe as an OEM product and then market as a DIY RC transmitter/receiver platform for the technically inclined users. The only real change that would be required is a new circuit board and some changes to the case to accommodate the required connections. I'm assuming that it's the transmitter module itself that is FCC and CE approved so that those ratings can be kept regardless of the underlying firmware.

I wonder how big of an order would be required to get such a custom 9x platform manufactured? 1000 units? 10,000 units? 100,000 units? If it's closer to a few thousand units it could probably be done by someone willing to risk the capital that such a generic transmitter would indeed have traction in the marketplace.
mpthompson

Postby Tarasdad » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:33 am

I'm seriously considering one of these radios myself. Got to admit it's an attractive package given the price.
Tarasdad

Postby HansBear » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:26 am

I recently got my 9X v2. I absolutely love it and think it is definitely the best value for money Tx out there.

Just came from my second flight with the Tx and Turnigy Rx that comes with it. I've been trying the Rx in my newly built HK Yak 54. I have had no issues as to yet. So far so good.

My biggest gripe with this radio also is the fact that you no longer can just plug a new module in the back of the Tx, bind it to the appropriate Rx, and off you go. This was one of the main reasons I ordered this radio. I ordered v1 and received v2 (no complaints from me).

Can't wait for the "I'll provide step-by-step instructions for fitting other brands of 2.4GHz transmitter bits to the version 2 transmitter for those who want the extra features those brands offer over the standard Turnigy-branded system."

This is a great site and keep up the good work!
HansBear

Postby ThePoeko » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 am

I'm fairly new to this hobby so I'm by no means an expert, but so far I'm very pleased with this transmitter. I have run my heli out about 100 meters or so without any issues. That's about as far as I can fly and still tell which way the tail is facing. I haven't done a proper range test but it's rock solid within my comfortable flying range.

My only complaint is the cheap battery case (replacement on the way!) and the horrible documentation. I'm still mystified as to setting up a gyro with this thing. I've managed to get it working but I honestly am not sure how.

On a side note: I saw this has been added to Hobby King's inventory:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... duct=12901

There are rumors that it is compatible with the 9x. Has anyone heard one way or another? I would love to pick up a few of these for my smaller Helis.
ThePoeko

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 am

Yes, I'd say they are the V2 6-channel receivers that use the FHSS system that the V2 Turnigy9X uses. They're actually dearer than the Turnigy-branded 8-channel V2 receivers but quite a bit smaller.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Wattsy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:35 am

I have had one of the Turnigy 9X v2 radios from HK for a few weeks and Im loving the challenge of working out how there mixing works and the Elevon mix took me a half hour to sort out but once its done its quite simple , I have de-soldered the inbuilt 2.4ghz aerial and installed the FrSky hack module and so far every thing is working great . I just wonder if the pattern for soldering on the back of the module pins in the radio is the same as it is in my JR 9X2 ? .
Ill wait and see if the range check is ok before commiting my E-powered Zaggi to the air . I would also like to say that the general feel of the radio is quite good for a $60 radio and Hobby King delivered it to my front door within a working week and thats bloody good considering I live in Australia ! . :D
Wattsy

Postby Toumal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 am

I've received my 9X V2 a couple days ago and have done quite a few tests with it.

Build quality: Average. Not perfect, but about the same level of quality as the much more expensive Spektrum DX6i. The switches are the same (cheap) variety, but they work. The sticks are nice and smooth.

Software: A mixed bag. It's not so much the lack of pre-made setups for 2-aileron planes and the likes (you have to define the mixer on an AUX channel yourself) but the fact that simple operations are sometimes done in a weird way. For example, when naming your model and scrolling through the alphabet, pressing the left arrow moves right, and the right arrow moves left o.O

Transmitter mode: True FHSS, just as XJet's tests have shown. Works very well. Power levels were not higher than the allowed 100mW.

Receiver: Single aerial with a sleeved dipole. I can confirm that this is the real deal and (when pointing at you) has a higher gain than what XPS-customers have to work with.

Range check: Excellent. I achieved ranges of over 1km. Futaba still works farther away, and at extreme ranges the Turnigy system is more sensitive to the respective antenna orientation. Still, this system righteously calls itself a "full range" system and the range is sufficient to safely fly things like sailplanes at high altitudes.

Summary: Excellent bang for the buck, and more than adequate for small and medium size planes. However, due to the fact that the receivers are hot-glued into their cases and that this is a very "cheap" system, I would refrain from using it in high-power/expensive models. In my opinion, someone who puts a $10 receiver into a $5000 plane is an idiot.

But for pretty much any foam plane, or even your typical combustion-engine plane, this is more than adequate. A lot of RC enthusiasts with a small budget should be very happy with this system.
Toumal

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am

Toumal wrote:However, due to the fact that the receivers are hot-glued into their cases and that this is a very "cheap" system, I would refrain from using it in high-power/expensive models. In my opinion, someone who puts a $10 receiver into a $5000 plane is an idiot.

Yes, and even more important is the lack of failsafe.

But for pretty much any foam plane, or even your typical combustion-engine plane, this is more than adequate. A lot of RC enthusiasts with a small budget should be very happy with this system.

I'd say it's suitable for any model that you'd be happy to have fly into a crowd under full power (in the event it gets hit by interference). In my book... that's only fairly small/light planes.

Failsafe might not sound like a big deal but it's one thing that can make the difference between losing a model and taking a life.

If you've ever seen what even a 5-lb sport model can do when it hits someone at speed you'd appreciate how important it is that we have and use failsafe on anything much larger than a foamy.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Toumal » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 pm

What you say about failsafe is true but... let me point out something that seems to bother nobody: Almost all futaba FASST pilots I know reverse the throttle channel on their transmitters, because Futaba simply works the opposite way than the usual Graupner, JR and other TX. Usually you'd reverse the throttle on the ESC, but ya know, where is your programming card when you need it...

So from experience I can tell you that most Futaba FASST pilots fly not just with no failsafe, but actually a failsafe that effectively goes full throttle when the signal is lost.
Toumal

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos