A good fpv setup?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

A good fpv setup?

Postby icedfusion » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am

I hav been watching the videos and reading alot about FPV and have determined the following:

Short range FPV (approx 1km)
Use my std 2.4GHz Hitec Aurora 9 with a 600mW 5.8GHz Video

Long Range:
Use a tracking antenna system with 2.4GHz video (using clover leaf and directional antenna for diversity)
Use a 433MHz 1W-2W Tx/Rx setup.

Now my question really relates to how would you create your Tx/Rx setup? I have seen various 'modules' for the 433Mhz systems, but really, I would like to know what would be the best setup for this?

Do I use my Hitec Aurora 9 and plug the trainer port into a Schrerre module or buy a cheap Turnigy and buy a 400Mhz module from another chinese shop (foxtechfpv) and stick it together to see if it works......or is there something else that can be done to get a long range Tx/Rx setup?

Cheers

ice.
icedfusion

Re: A good fpv setup?

Postby Ted Browning » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:07 am

Chanced across your comments re FPV setup. I have a come back to the hobby after an absence of quite a few years and because I understood HF, got back in with 36mhz gear. I was advised by a good retailler who also flies 36mhz (as everyone else has gone)(shhhh don't tell). That Hitec gear was good as with the Optic 6 you can have it both ways 36mhz and 2.4ghz. I believe the Aurora 9 is similar (be careful with QPCM).

So I began my FPv career somewhat like you 2.4 and 5.8 short range and in company. Then for me 36mhz and 2.4ghz for my solo and longer distance efforts. Some research has revealed that there are possiblities and some advantages with 36mhz. It's HF, and therefore inherently long range! It's legal. I'm not so sure what the Ham operators think about rc'ers using their band but I'll bet they would not be happy to be sharing with the unlicensed.

Realising the US is on 72mhz and our aerials are the same length as theirs, we are tootling around on 1/8th wave receiver aerials .... try extending to 1/4 wave and what a difference. Then tried a 3.97metre trailing wire antenna and my goodness what a performace inprovement and that's just the receiver. I'm more research to do before I have the courage to play with the transmitter, but food for thought. I no longer bother with the 2.4ghz at all for FPV.

A modest record thus for for me only 2km out on FPV with OSD, and that was turning around because the video was getting noisy. I have heard of a Norwegian guy going 15km on 35mhz equiqment.

I suggested caution with QPCM as that is "digital" and I think it will just "switch off" once the signal fades, rather than fade into glitchy mush like AM & FM. So you have warning you will soon loose signal if you do nothing.

Anyhow that's where I am with it I have a friend who FPV's on 433mhz and we're both cautiously stretching outwards. So far for both of us the video link has been the limiter.
Ted Browning

Re: A good fpv setup?

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 am

Have a look at Wildwill postings and hunt down his YouTube contributions.

Start here, he gets some good distance with his setup and he likes to make us jealous :shock: 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1387 :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Radios and Servos