WFly vs. FrSky build Quality

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

WFly vs. FrSky build Quality

Postby gyroguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:06 am

From what I see from the pictures, WFly has better build quality.

Does it appears that the WFly are hand assembled ?

Over all which which is better. WFly or FrSky?

I am thinking about getteing the WFly DIY module from Hi-Model.

Thanks
Attachments
wflyinsidetx.jpg
WFly
wflyinsidetx.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 10171 times
frskytx1.jpg
FrSky
frskytx1.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 10171 times
gyroguru

Re: WFly vs. FrSky build Quality

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 am

Both systems are good although the edge in build-quality might just go to the WFly.

The WFly is a DSSS system, the FrSky is FHSS and will soon offer telemetry.

The WFly is only available for Futaba/Hitec, the FrSky is available in Futaba/Hitec or JR modules.

Both will work very well -- the choice is entirely dependent on what you consider to be important in a 2.4GHz module/receiver combination. Fortunately the price of the WFly has fallen significantly since I did my review, that makes them more attractive than they were.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby gyroguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:34 am

Thanks for your reply.

The FrSky DIY module is $27 and the 4 ch. Rx is $22 for total of $48. The WFly Tx with 6 ch. Rx combo is $47 (Futaba). The 4 ch. Rx is only $16. I fly mostly small electric autogyros and small electric airplanes with 4 ch. and short range. Autogyros has to be flown closely or the orientation can be lost very quickly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/auto-gyros-224/

I am looking for quality rather than features. I just dont feel very comfortable with hand soldered tiny components. The WFly seems to be assembled on an automated process. Since WFly dont have a DIY module I will have the hack the Futaba module. The other concern that I have is fact that WFly specify an operating voltage range of from 9V to 12V. I like to use 2 cell li-ion.

Do you have any idea if the WFly Futaba module will accept +PPM signal from a JR Radio?

Do you know if the WFly Tx will actaully function below 9V? They may have specified it but I have a feeling that it might work.

Thanks
gyroguru

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:53 am

I haven't tested the WFly module below 9V and can't confirm if it will accept the JR PPM pulses.

If you're going to go the DIY module way then I'd recommend the FrSky anyway. I now have over eight models flying with the FrSky (putting my money where my mouth is) and there are plenty of others flying FrSky at our club with no issues at all. While some of the earlier FrSky product and the prototype telemetry boards I received may have been hand-soldered, I think the assembly quality is more than good enough now.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby gyroguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 pm

I received email from WFly that the voltage requirement is 9V minimum which is strange because there is a regulator on the Tx module. If the module will not work below 9V than it is a big turn off because I use two cell Li-Ions cells on all of my radios.

Thanks.
gyroguru

Return to Radios and Servos