Spektrum DX8

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Spektrum DX8

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:16 pm

I see that Horizon have "lifted the covers" on the new DX8.

The addition of telemetry is good but I really do wonder how many models will be lost when people keep looking down to their transmitters to read the telemetry data.

Having spent a lot of time working with UAVs and RPVs I can tell you that it's just not practical to keep looking away from the aircraft to check on telemetry data. You either need a big display that can be quickly focused on and read or a simple system of alarms and/or voice.

Some of the "features' of the DX8 seem a little gimicky -- for instance it shows a different model graphic for each wing-type you select (wow!) and the telemetry really could benefit from speech synthesis or provision for a dedicated display but I guess we'll have to wait until August to see just how good it really is.

I wonder if Horizon will send a sample for review? :D
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Spektrum DX8

Postby Jayshergill » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 am

ya I saw that too they have finally revealed there 8 channel system Bruce... wait should I say 2.4GHz 2 channel system.. lol.... :o

It has telemetry functions and some other stuff but what I want to know if they are still using the DSSS system instead of frequency hopping...

funny thing will be when somebody's plane or helicopter will be going down and all the telemetry data will be showing everything is fine on the transmitter

little that they'll know receiver has block them out due to interference or signal loss..

You know I wonder if they will send you one for you to review it :lol:

I really hope they do send you one that way we can learn all of the functions and other cool telemetry data stuff.
Jayshergill

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:10 am

I'd be more than happy to review one of these and I'd give it the same objective perspective I give to all the products I review. No favoritism or prejudices here -- just the facts.

However, call me a cynic but I expect they'll send samples to RCU and RCG where they can be sure of rave reviews (backed by oodles of expensive advertising), regardless of the facts.

Fair enough, it's their call and you can't knock them for it. If they don't have enough confidence in their product to submit it to RCModelReviews for testing and review, that's their choice.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Jayshergill » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 am

we will wait and see..
Jayshergill

Postby baner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm

They have released 2 updates already..

https://community.spektrumrc.com
baner

Return to Radios and Servos