Turnigy 9x binding problem

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9x binding problem

Postby Supercuber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi,

Having T9x for past two years and flying several electric models, i was satisfied customer, until few weeks ago i lost my electric sailplane due the mysterious glitch, when the TX switched off by its own , during the flight, and model just went down in spiral dive. Worst part of the story , model went to the large corn field several hundred meters from flying site and i was not able to trace him anymore.

At this moment, display screen was "blank", despite TX is switched on .
After the reset ( OFF and ON again), everything is there, model memories, settings and other data, and look like everything is OK.
I use soldered pack of 8 Turnigy LSD NiMh's since first day of use, having 10,3 V voltage at this "power loss " moment, and the hardware (switch or connectors) caused loss of voltage is not a suspect, since battery pack is soldered directly to the PCB board, not using the battery box connector.

Having another two models with paired T9x receivers, i try to fly them, but both receivers are "unbinded" from TX.

Binding procedure goes OK, first blinking LED, later solid red LED, but after the TX is switched OFF and ON again, there is no solid red LED , just a single short LED blink while switching ON the receiver.

This goes same with both, perfectly functional receivers, and several try's with different RX batteries.

So, i suppose, hardware is not a cause of this problem, but something from software/firmware side. I have original Turnigy firmware, even do a system reset to factory settings, but nothing happens, no chance of successful binding.

So, i'm puzzled with this issue, and want to try to repair this radio, will i need to flash the firmware with some of new firmwares or to buy the FrSky DIY module and upgrade this radio to FRSKY standard.

So, any idea how to solve this problem or suggestion what to do with my Turnigy radio?

Thanx for any help,
RGDS
Supercuber.
Supercuber

Re: Turnigy 9x binding problem

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 pm

The binding procedure involves the TX module not the main transmitter software.
The most likely cause of your failure is the module, it has failed and during failure it pulled the voltage of the entire TX down causing the screen to blank.
The TX module has now completely failed and whatever burnt out has now gone open circuit allowing the rest of the TX to come back on.
Probably your best course of action is to buy Frsky modules and RX's, rather than investigate the turnigy /flysky module failure, although I would suspect that the voltage regulator failed, but that may have damaged other components, so it's probably a write off.
Open up the back of the module and see if it smells burnt or you can see damage.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:The binding procedure involves the TX module not the main transmitter software.
The most likely cause of your failure is the module, it has failed and during failure it pulled the voltage of the entire TX down causing the screen to blank.
The TX module has now completely failed and whatever burnt out has now gone open circuit allowing the rest of the TX to come back on.
Probably your best course of action is to buy Frsky modules and RX's, rather than investigate the turnigy /flysky module failure, although I would suspect that the voltage regulator failed, but that may have damaged other components, so it's probably a write off.
Open up the back of the module and see if it smells burnt or you can see damage.

Ill agree with this check the module and see, If you can smell anything , replace as soon as possible also take Photos of the module insides too we might be able to see something that you cant, if you have a Multimeter check the traces with it, make sure its all good in there, and If you know anyone with a JR module use that to check the binding with an appropriate receiver also, and check with the farmer who owns the field to see if anyone has seen your model , might get lucky there and when they check there crops they might find it for you.....
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby Supercuber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanx for the fast reply , looks like new Frsky DIY module will be the best solution.

I'm just puzzled how i can do binding procedure and all looks OK , but after the switching off and on the transmitter,nothing happens, no response from receiver, sound like the module is partially "dead", and does not transfer complete code.

Anyway, if this upgrade fails, FRSKY will fit my old Hitec Focus 4.

I have label with address and phone number on this sailplane canopy , so , hope someone will call me soon.

Thanx a lot for all the info.

RGDS
Supercuber
Supercuber

Postby Supercuber » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi,
FRSKY V8Ht DIY module, two V8R7 /7-II receivers and Zippy LiFepo 1800mAh battery arrived today, took me an hour to instal module and everything works perfectly, both receivers binded from first try, need to do a range check, at flying field and will
Thanx for the comments and advices, here is photo story how i do this upgrade,
http://nsrcflyers.21.forumer.com/viewto ... =2775#2775
Supercuber
Supercuber

Return to Radios and Servos