Spektrum AR500 problems

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Spektrum AR500 problems

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:38 am

I have no idea about warranty -- traditionally most stuff here in NZ comes with a 12-month warranty but it's not actually specified that this is a minimum legal requirement. I think the law just says "a reasonable period".
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby elpako » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi! I have the same issue with both of my AR500. One of them was bought on ebay (UK) second with my DX5 radio (east europe - poland). Both of them have the same problems as mentioned by you before... (I've lost 3 lipols one engine and one model)I've wrote the email to spektrum service (USA). Of course service guy told me that "this is not a regular behavior" etc ... I should send them link to google with "AR500 problems" phrase! Everybody has an issue with that sh***. I don't understand why they are deny the true of that receivers and why this receiver is still easy accessible to buy. They should exchange them for free like toyota did with gas pedal... Clue of my adventures with spektrum is that I decided to move to hitec. One spektrum customer less.
elpako

Postby RyanNX211 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:40 am

The official word is that DSMX is only necessary if you fly in environments like Joe Nall or huge indoor events.

This week at Muncie, we had 4 crashes with AR500 receivers when total control was lost, AFTER QUALIFYING FOR THE ANNUAL NATIONAL CONTEST BY TYING FOR 1ST PLACE in each event.
Number of flyers at the AMA site
1st instance: one
2nd instance: 10
3rd instance: 12
4th instance: 1

Flights were made in DSM2 even though on the last crash I loaned out my upgraded DX8. (backwards compatibility) If Spek would acknowledge there were more reasons for the switch, I wouldn't be looking at other systems.
I have spoken with them on the phone and the transmitters and receivers are going back. In the first 3 crashes the voltages were btwn 5.0 and 5.07. Failsafe throttle cut never worked on the last and the battery was in many pieces when it hit the asphalt. We only salvaged the tail skid on that one.
In any event, in spite of qualifying for the biannual contest in Vegas, we won't be going because : We don't have any models left and not enough time to build replacements!

But the father son team who got all our 72Mhz equip two years ago will be...
RyanNX211

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:48 am

Major bummer Ryan. We all feel your pain.

Maybe best not to buy radios from a company that tells porky pies.

Slightly off topic, I was at the superdupermarket today and idly started looking at aluminium cases for my modded Turnigy 9x transmitter.

Then I realised I was about to spend more on the case than the 9x. So, I rummaged around back at home and found an old small school case of Mrs Sid's, and will use that instead. :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby grimmy55 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

I got an email from a mate of mine at McLeans Island flyers it appears that 3 very experianced flyers have lost planes using the new spectrum radio whichbegs the question is there interference from industrial souces , they are only 3 kms from Harewood airport
grimmy55

Postby Allan Warner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 pm

grimmy55
Could be.
Upset local resident may use one of these http://www.jammer-store.com/rcj40-d-adj ... ocker.html (ditch the omni and use a directional aerial with gain)
But, you can get much higher o/p units if you are a comercial/ military user and concerned with security. Do a Google search for WiFi jammers.
2.4gHz is a licence free ISM band where all users have to accept interference from all other users.
Allan Warner

Postby Coverdown » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm

grimmy55 wrote:I got an email from a mate of mine at McLeans Island flyers it appears that 3 very experianced flyers have lost planes using the new spectrum radio whichbegs the question is there interference from industrial souces , they are only 3 kms from Harewood airport

If the equipment used is certified, I would have a hard time believing it would cause problems.
I have seen lots of flights near radio towers, high voltage cables, train tracks with overhead lines and a few near airports and never seen a problem.

Would it be feasible and useful to have some kind of frequency analyzer at the field, to see if there was interference beyond normal levels.
Coverdown

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 pm

The 2.4GHz band is becoming increasingly hostile - which is one of the reasons I started criticizing DSM2 some time ago.

I have no doubt that there are some areas where the noise levels are so high that RC flying on 2.4GHz (with any kind of currently available gear) is not really a good idea.

Also, measuring the noise-levels at ground level (which is where most people measure them) can be incredibly misleading.

The noise profile of the band usually looks a *lot* difference once you get 100 feet or more above the ground. Suddenly, many of the noise sources that were "invisible" at ground level become a major factor. This can explain why in some cases, people scan the band (at ground level) and find no real problems, do a range check and find everything okay, then take off and lose control within seconds.

Pretty soon the noise-profile of a potential flying site will become a major factor in determining its suitability for RC use.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RyanNX211 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:55 pm

http://modelaircraft.org/

It was not a crowded environment when we were flying at the AMA's Muncie site. Twice, there was no one else flying at the facility. I'm sure if the site posses some unique challenges, we would know about it by now.

I stopped by the the local hobby shop here to ask if they had heard of any problems with the AR500 receivers since they were used in all crashes.
What a coincidence, the guy ahead of me was asking about lock outs too! He was using a 6ch in an upgraded DX8 and wanted to know if they had any 72Mhz equipment left!

I guess the transmitter is going back now too!
RyanNX211

Postby RyanNX211 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I wish someone would conduct some range tests with different tx/rx combinations and between makes.
The web is a buzz with reports that the DX8 has less range than earlier models.

Not sure if this is to comply with EU requirements or not. And is DSMX restricted in Europe?
RyanNX211

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos