Dual FHSS 2,4 Systems

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Dual FHSS 2,4 Systems

Postby Boagy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Bruce,
How do 2.4 GHz systems (e.g. Weatronic & ACT S3D) that use 2 transmitter systems in one module as well as 2 receivers in one case compare to other systems currently on the market, in particular FrSky? Are they significantly better in terms of interference rejection, security etc or is it just sales hype?
regards
Steve
Boagy

Re: Dual FHSS 2,4 Systems

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 am

This is an interesting question.

Given that huge numbers of people fly single-link 2.4GHz systems each and every day without any issues, it could be argued that the advanced capabilities of the Weatronics and ACT systems is unnecessary.

I would tend to support that argument.

However, I am sure that there are instances where people can be justified in spending the extra money to ensure that they have the small amount of extra insurance against the effects of interference that a dual-link system may offer.

In theory, a single-link FHSS system will perform very nearly as good as a dual-link one in almost every situation.

I haven't tested either of the systems you refer to (although Weatronic did offer to send me one a couple of years ago but never followed-up on that offer). With the price of these systems being so high, I'm unlikely to find the funds within my meager review budget to purchase the systems for review either.

I'd have to say that if you fly in an RF environment that is so harsh you need the tiny amount of extra resilience that a dual link system *may* offer then I really have to question whether you should be flying RC models there at all.

In summary -- it can't hurt but I suspect that it's probably gross overkill in most situations.

If Weatronics want to honor their original offer to supply a system for testing or ACT want to send one for review I'd be very keen to do some in-depth testing and try to quantify the extra protection these systems offer.

I suspect however, that they'd rather rely on the perceived benefits than the actual ones when it comes to selling their product -- although I'm merely speculating and could be wrong.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Boagy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for the quick reply Bruce. Sorry about the extra thread - don't know how that happened?

Is insurance against the effects of interference the main reason for using dual systems or do they offer better signal transmission/reception with the dual antennas etc?

It would be interesting to have you do a review on Weatronic or ACT or both. Lets hope they supply a system for testing.

Steve
Boagy

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Boagy wrote:It would be interesting to have you do a review on Weatronic or ACT or both. Lets hope they supply a system for testing.

You could always suggest that to them 8-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos