Single Channel Rubber escapment setup

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Single Channel Rubber escapment setup

Postby iflylilplanes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:45 am

I am building and setting up a few single channel aircraft to see how it was way back when, as the push button radios are few and far between I will be using a modern radio with a single servo to operate the rudder. On a few of the aircraft as well as the rudder there is an elevator that only kicks up not down.

My question is how and when does the elevator kick up, and how far, when the rudder moves, is it before, after or during the turn? The first two aircraft I'm building are both Ken Willard designs, the first is the Traveler powered by a PMC Imp .75 cc diesel, the other is the Roaring 20 powered by a DC Dart.55 cc diesel. Both aircraft were designed for a single rubber powered escapment that operates both rudder and elevator kick up.

Any advice on the operation of the elevator will be a great help.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Re: Single Channel Rubber escapment setup

Postby Allan Warner » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 am

Actually, on SC slope soarers 'Kick down' elevator was used. Try having a good read through the following links and where they take you. There's a growing SC (using 2.4 radio link) movement in the UK.

http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/board,319.0.html

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/pos ... p?th=76101

HTH
Allan Warner

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Some great sites there... Bought back a lot of memories...

I had the Macgregor button radio that started me in RC in the late sixties...

Also had the Macgregor six channel in one of the photos...

I still had it when I came to Australia in 81 and got it converted over from 27 meg.

I still have it but it's in a few pieces. Might try and get it going on the 2.4...

I think I built most of them planes in the model section...

Thanks for the links...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:08 pm

This hobbies about having fun so whatever turns you on but...
Having built my first RC set (with valves) from McGregor kits when I was a teenager, I have absolutely no wish whatsoever to emulate those dodgy days of RC flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJZacj2v-w
Shows a kick up escapement the Elmic conquest that was the must have equipment!
I put one in my first Timber design from the Aeromodeller plans service.
Timbers.jpg
Timbers.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 18306 times

You had to keep tuning the receiver before every flight those days, and to save the transmitter power you turned it off while you started up.
The plane flew away perfectly my brother had omitted to turn the transmitter on before handing it to me, by the time I realised it was out of range and hundreds of feet high.
We spent a happy afternoon asking farm workers (who luckily for me were getting in the harvest that day) where it had gone and lo and behold they had seen it land in a field next to a bull.
I got it back with just a slight dent to the nose!
The models were good but not the terrible old radio.
Recently in a fit of nostalgia I built a new Timber electric with four channel 2.4 GHz it flies beautifully.
Timber2012.JPG
Timber2012.JPG (232.22 KiB) Viewed 18306 times

But I wouldn't go retro on the radio to many frustrating memories of the real thing!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: Single Channel Rubber escapement setup

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Those were the days Bill... that feeling of letting it go then pressing the button and thinking I've done it again, forgot to turn the ba$!ard on...
Next time, what's wrong , I turned it on... forgot to wind the escapement...
Right this time everything is spot on... now the motor wont start.. did I mix the fuel right...?
They were fun days, looking back, but I don't think I would want to do it again either...
If only we had todays technology back then...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby iflylilplanes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 am

First,
Allan,
The links you supplied were great, I've got the info on the elevator timing I needed. I've sent sent off an email to singlechannel in the UK asking for price and availability of their s/c emulation board, I'm going to build my own transmitter. Thanks for the links again.

Second,
Is there anyone out there who has a single channel transmitter they no longer want or need (the button type, not working is OK), I may be in the market for one, I'm going to gut it, fit a 2.4 Ghz module and bring it up to date.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby iflylilplanes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:16 am

Bill,
I was given a single channel escapment setup back in the early 70's, back then I did not have the knowledge or the ability to get it operational and eventually gave it to a hobby store whose owner was a collector. Lately I've been looking for plans for free flight aircraft to put my Taipan Mk7 2.5 diesel in for the Gorden Burford Event held here in OZ, I found a web site called Outerzone with plans going back to the 40's and all types of model aircraft genre. As I was scrolling through the lists I found the original plans for the Ken Willard "Top Dawg" the model I learnt to fly RC on back in the early 70's, the plan showed the single channel setup giving my the interest in trying it out.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Return to Radios and Servos