Hitec Focus 4 mode change

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Hitec Focus 4 mode change

Postby Pachyderm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 am

I recently purchased a Hitec Focus 4, brand new in the box, must be at least 12 years old!! My problem is that the set is mode 2 whereas I fly mode 1, I have pulled the back off the transmitter thinking it would be a simple matter of switching the ratchet plate and springs. No such luck, the ratchet mechanism seems to built into the stick assembly. Anybody have any clues?? Any advice would be appreciated.
Pachyderm

Re: Hitec Focus 4 mode change

Postby RobC » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 am

Not knowing that particular transmitter but owning an Optic, my first thought is can the complete stick assembies be swapped over? Over the years i've had various sets where it was easy to just undo 4 screws on each side of the front case and release the stick units.
RobC

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Yes, the Focus 4 is a very old radio!

Can't help with the conversion unfortunately -- given the age of the set and its mint condition, it might be worth just putting it a way in a cupboard somewhere with a view to selling it to a collector in another 10-20 years.

Go buy a Turnigy 9X or something in the meantime and enjoy your flying perhaps?

Or you could pick up another cheap 4-channel and throw a 2.4GHz DIY kit in it.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 am

I am still using my Focus 4 that I bought over 10 years ago. In fact I learned to fly on it. The battery finally failed recently and I installed a Lipo from Hobbyking, works awesome.
jeffie8696

Postby Pachyderm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 am

Many thanks for your suggestions, not sure if the wires from the pots will have enough length for a "stick shift" or if the the reversed sticks will clear the case because the linear pots will be reversed, I will give a go. Otherwise I may take the "boss's" advice and put it in storage!
Pachyderm

Return to Radios and Servos