RCModelReviews and Spektrum/Horizon

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: RCModelReviews and Spektrum/Horizon

Postby BB-Q » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Personally I have very few concerns over the "flaw" in DSM2 as in real life it's extremely unlikely to cause a problem. It is still an order of magnitude safer than analogue systems.

What really concerns me is the total lack of information that is forthcoming about Horizin Hobby's palns should Cisco win their case next year and make future DSM2 sales illegal in Europe.
Last edited by BB-Q on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB-Q

Postby gmhelo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:43 pm

I hear Horizon's answers with the same set of ears with which I hear our beloved Australian politicians, which is to say that one can never expect a straight answer to any direct question but only the answer to a question they would like to have been asked. :? If they don't have the respect for the questioner to even do that they attack the questioner thereby totally drawing attention away from the original question and hopefully, for them, sullying the reputation and credibility of the questioner.

Problem is that eventually people actually do need facts to make up their minds and will seek answers in any way they can. Unfortunately for the politicians in the presence of a factual vacuum all sorts of mistruths, innuendos and other party's propaganda get injected into the debate and when they are finally ready to reveal the facts they are not believed.

I can only hope that the boosters of the product being discussed take your advice, Bruce, and openly discuss, and refute with facts, any issues you have raised before the buying public make up their minds based on one set of facts from your side and from denials, threats and obfuscation from their side of the debate.

I know who I would vote for!
gmhelo

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:52 am

Even after revealing problems with the Aviastar carbs I maintain a close relationship with both SIG and Avaiatronics.
Neither of them attacked my credibility , both were grateful for the information to improve the product.
jeffie8696

Postby aesmith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 am

Toumal wrote:1) a new revision, call them "b" or whatever, with a new firmware that has improved channel selection. Like with the brownout issues. Of course people will ask what they should do with their existing receivers.

As described, it sounds like the transmitter probably chooses channels and the receiver just goes along with what's chosen. If that's the case then a mod to the transmitter to avoid close together channels would work fine with existing receivers.
aesmith

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 am

Yes, it would be a simple firmware fix -- but I suspect that to implement such a fix in a public way would first require some kind of acknowledgment that there is a problem in the first place.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby JMJ » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

One would think that the analysis by REMODELREVIEWS could provide a wonderful opportunity for improvments (large or small, substantial or minor). Mr. Simpson does a favour to all readers and manufacaturers mentioned on his site.
JMJ

Postby ballsey » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 pm

I have always used JR Radios, but JR Radio is hurting their brand the longer they are associated with H/Hobbies DSM2. I’ve not had any trouble yet with DSM2, but am starting to loose my confidence in it. The sooner JR establishes their own system the better. I’m looking for a new radio now, and am thinking of going with Futaba. It’s very disappointing all the negative press that JR are getting because of DSM2.
ballsey

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 am

The local agent for Spektrum has confirmed that he forwarded a copy of the open letter to Horizon.

As of this point in time -- still no response.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jab » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 am

JMJ wrote:One would think that the analysis by REMODELREVIEWS could provide a wonderful opportunity for improvments...

If Mr. RCMR without any inside knowledge or design reference for the product, is able to find possible flaws and weaknesses with a spectrum analyser and deduction. One would assume Spektrum was fully aware of all these possible problems and more long before they even went on sale.
jab

Postby lental » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:41 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, it would be a simple firmware fix -- but I suspect that to implement such a fix in a public way would first require some kind of acknowledgment that there is a problem in the first place.

I don't know that a public acknowledgment of problems would be necessary.

A new version, as mentioned earlier, fixing current problems and perhaps adding a few new features could be done without any more than introductory fanfare without any reference to problems with the previous version. It's done all the time in the software environment. All they gotta do is offer a backwardly compatible "bigger/better" version and afficiandos will jump to upgrade. The honorable thing to do, of course, would be to announce that it "corrects" problems with the previous version but that also puts them at risk from those who may have lost aircraft due to problems with the previous version.

If they admit their problems, they're screwed; if they don't admit them, they're dishonest. They're caught in a Catch 22 situation and I suspect their lawyers are the real culprits behind their reluctance to discuss the situation with you, Bruce.

I've never looked at the fine print in the documentation that came with my Spektrum but if there's not a disclaimer clause somewhere absolving them of any damage to aircraft or boats or vehicles the system is used with, they've gotten bad legal advice. Even with such a disclaimer, they can still be liable for collateral damage and anybody can sue anybody else for any reason in spite of disclaimers. Lawsuits are expensive and multiple lawsuits can break a Company.

But as Jab said above, if you were able to identify the problem, they had to know about it before they put the system on the market. If they knowingly put a defective or quesionable product on the market then maybe they ought to be broken.

In all fairness, however, it seems from comments on the blogs that they are working well with customers to resolve individual problems and that's one NOT so small thing to their credit. None of this, of course, excuses them for their hostility or refusal to communicate with you.
lental

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos