Fake Futaba servos

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Fake Futaba servos

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 am

It seems as if the Chinese are now getting into faking Futaba servos (as well as Spektrum receivers).

If you've come across any suspiciously "different" brand-name servos, perhaps you'd like to tell the rest of us what you found and where you bought them.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Fake Futaba servos

Postby MajorTom » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey Bruce!
Your article prompted me to check my S3003s, funny thing is the layout is quite a bit different. I know for a fact thought that they are genuine, they are well over 12 years old so they must be an older revision. This also makes them too old to be Chinese knockoffs. (I really had no reason to open them, I just wanted to! lol) I also have a few Tower Hobbies TS-53 servos that I assumed were S3003 clones, and now I know they really are. The circuit boards are exactly the same as the newer genuine S3003s in your article. That wasn't even that long ago, and I think the money I saved by buying the Tower vs the Futaba equals the amount a good Chinese standard servo cost today!

I noticed that in your article it mentions a rubber grommet for the wires in the Futabas. In my Futabas and the Tower clones there is no grommet. Just a very tightly molded plastic support. It is tight enough though to keep most junk and splashes of water out.

Nice article, I'm always weary of Chinese sales antics so its nice to be informed. Thanks!
MajorTom

Postby ron_van_sommeren » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Bruce,

I posted your article in the Dutch forum:
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/mod ... ervos.html
Translated version:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ervos.html

According to user 'firefly' your fake servo looks like a DYS0208. He also says that the DYS3003 looks exactly like a Futaba S3003, except for the colour of the outgoing shaft.

User 'Corrien' services Graupner/JR, Multiplex/Hitec and Robbe/Futabe radio-equipment in the Netherlands and Belgium.
Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron
volts jolt, current kills
diy brushless motor group
ron_van_sommeren

Postby Bert » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 pm

G'Day all, I bid on and won 4 so called Futaba S3003 servos. on there e-bay page the genuine Futaba S3003 Servos photo was shown.
But when they arrived ( 34 days later ) they were the fake Futaba S3003 servos as shown on RC Model Review.
The seller was demonerrr ( demone_exwb4257tbtg@members.ebay.com.hk ).
I have swapped 5 or so e-mails with them, but no results yet, I do believe they are stalling for time
and waiting for me to give up. If I go down I'll go down fighting.
Bert.
Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Sorry I left out the URL for demonerrr. This is it . ( http://shop.ebay.com.au/demonerrr/m.htm ... m=&_ipg=25 )
Bert

Postby aesmith » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 am

If it were me, I'd make an Ebay or Paypal claim for partial refund (maybe 50%) as "item not as described". I'll bet if you return them, they'll end up "lost" and you get nothing.
aesmith

Postby baner » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am

baner

Postby jpurcha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:00 pm

I found this site during a web search. I have 4 or 5 of these fake futaba 3003 servos too. Have you tested these servos? Are they usable?

Jim
jpurcha

Postby mcddd » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 am

I know this is an old thread, but a buddy bought some 3004 servos from a swap meet a few months ago. The 3004 is the ball bearing version of the 3003. He just started flying them recently and the plane developed some severe slop in the servo shaft and gear train within a few flights. Not at all what you would expect of a ball bearing servo, even a cheap one like the Futaba 3004.

Closer inspection revealed they were fake 3004 servos. They look just like the fake 3003 servos in this thread, except for the 3004 label. We haven't disassembled one yet, but we strongly suspect the fake 3004 servos don't even have a ball bearing.

So now we have fake 3003 servos, and fake 3004 servos.

What's next?
mcddd

Postby S-rob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:18 am

whats next......
they are alot of fake hobbywing (car) esc's on ebay & NZ Trademe.
100% unreliable.

I also got caught with a fake 3003 (NZ trademe). Never worked properly-internal gear issues. Went straight in the bin
S-rob

Next

Return to Radios and Servos