Backlight Mod for TX

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Backlight Mod for TX

Postby TG72 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:13 pm

For owners of JR-9303 and PCM 10X transmitters this website http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352493 is offering fiber optic based backlight kits. I myself don't own any of these radios, but those who do, might be interested. :|
Last edited by TG72 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG72

Postby TG72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 pm

pwy wrote:I have done backlight mods for a couple of expensive Futaba 12FG and it is really quite simple.
The el panels from ebay work fine but usually the inverters that come with them are too big and often for the wrong voltage as well. A good and cheap inverter which works for voltages between 6V and 7.5V (good for 2s lipo or 9x battery mod) is the Align driver BG71011.

You will need to remove the reflective backing from the LCD to make it work. It's a rather simple procedure but it takes about 30 min of rubbing to remove all the remaining glue from the LCD (at least on the Futaba LCDs).
As mentioned before you need to remove the reflective backing only and leave the polarisation layer intact. There is not much danger of accidentally removing the polarisation layer as they are really very distinct parts and as long as you know there is a second layer below it is very unlikely that you will remove the wrong parts.

There are a lot of how to's and videos on the net. The procedure is always the same with the only difference the way to open the radio and disassemble the LCD.

One last tip: If you need to cut the EL panels you should seal them up again, preventing air getting between the layers. This can be done by simply taping the EL together with normal transparent tape along the cuts. If you do this the panels will last for a long time and you will be happy with the result.
Thanks for the tip PWY! I ordered 2 Align drivers from http://www.helikraft.com/advanced_searc ... er&x=3&y=6 for $5.70 ea +$6.30 S+H because I too have made the 2-Lipo Bat modification. Just need to tackle the reflective backing removal step, but am a little intimidated, after seeing one messed up in a video. :P I wonder if the 9X's are as easy to remove as the Futaba's?
Last edited by TG72 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TG72

Postby pwy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:42 am

TG72 wrote:Thanks for the tip PWY! I ordered 2 Align drivers from http://www.Helikraft.com for $5.70 ea +$6.30 S+H because I to have made the 2-Lipo Bat modification. Just need to tackle the reflective backing removal step, but am a little intimidated, after seeing one messed up in a video. :P I wonder if the 9X's are as easy to remove as the Futaba's?

I would assume that the 9X are easier to remove and if you screw up it is max $60 ;-)

The backing you need to remove is very thin but strong enough not to tear when you peel it off. Peel off a corner and you should see the shiny aluminium foil come off. That's what you want to see but if you are peeling off a thick dark grey layer then stick it back and try again.

First time I did it I thought the glue below the removed backing was the polarisation layer :oops: but I soon discovered that the polarisation filter is really a rather thick and dark layer sticking pretty well to the display. Well enough to allow rubbing off the glue from it without damaging it even when I used my fingernails and reasonable pressure.

Difficult to properly describe but once you have seen it you will understand ;)
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby TG72 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Point well taken, thanks for the in depth instructions on how to do this...TG
TG72

Postby SimJen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Just bought a Turnigy 9x backlight from Hobbyking, just waiting for it to arrive.
Easy install video on youtube, no peeling layers off the screen required.
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby aussie_flyer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

pwy wrote:I have done backlight mods for a couple of expensive Futaba 12FG and it is really quite simple.
The el panels from ebay work fine but usually the inverters that come with them are too big and often for the wrong voltage as well. A good and cheap inverter which works for voltages between 6V and 7.5V (good for 2s lipo or 9x battery mod) is the Align driver BG71011.

You will need to remove the reflective backing from the LCD to make it work. It's a rather simple procedure but it takes about 30 min of rubbing to remove all the remaining glue from the LCD (at least on the Futaba LCDs).
As mentioned before you need to remove the reflective backing only and leave the polarisation layer intact. There is not much danger of accidentally removing the polarisation layer as they are really very distinct parts and as long as you know there is a second layer below it is very unlikely that you will remove the wrong parts.

There are a lot of how to's and videos on the net. The procedure is always the same with the only difference the way to open the radio and disassemble the LCD.

One last tip: If you need to cut the EL panels you should seal them up again, preventing air getting between the layers. This can be done by simply taping the EL together with normal transparent tape along the cuts. If you do this the panels will last for a long time and you will be happy with the result.

Hi,
can you post some links on how to do this for a 12FG, and which panels to buy?
What aew el panels?

Thanks
aussie_flyer

Postby pwy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 pm

aussie_flyer wrote:

Hi,
can you post some links on how to do this for a 12FG, and which panels to buy?
What aew el panels?

Thanks

Of course ;-)

I used some panels from this seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-x6-EL-Pane ... 707wt_1065 (select colour you want)
this driver http://wattsuprc.com.au/product_detail.asp?pid=BG71011A
and the instructions are here http://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthread.php?t=80132
an english translation can be found in this post http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t470039p1/

Hope that helps.
P.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby aussie_flyer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks Heaps.
aussie_flyer

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos