Trying to decide...

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Trying to decide...

Postby Skribbles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Hey fellas,

For starters, I am not new to RC but am new to planes.

Now, I have been reading and looking at a couple of radios, mainly the Futaba 7C, Hitec Optic 6 and Sanwa RDS8000.
At the moment I am leaning towards the Hitec Optic 6 with an FrSky module (get the FM version then buy the module (cheapest way)) but the value for money of the RDS8000 is pretty good I think and the Futaba 7C with the cheaper HK receivers sounds alright to me also.

Just after any advice for things to look for or other models I could/should be looking at.
I am not a fan of Spektrum though (I don't hate them, I just don't like them).

The Optic 6 I think seems to have a more complete feature set over the Sanwa and Futaba radios (mixing and dual aileron servos) which is also another thing swinging me in that direction.
Later on down the road when I can afford it, I will most likely be getting another radio and a higher spec one at that aswell, I quite like the Aurora 9 but I am not a fan of the touch screen (would have to use one to see how good it is) is it possible to make the FrSky module fit? and would the telemetry work through the radio (although kinda pointless if you have to take your eyes off the plane though I think).
I am a Sanwa fan though, so the SD 10 does appeal to me but that also means more expensive receivers.
Higher Futaba radios are just too expensive I think, unless I could get a nice used 9C and chuck the FrSky module in that.

Also later on I would like to give FPV a go but I suppose that is something for a completely different thread.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Skribbles

Re: Trying to decide...

Postby Roger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:33 am

To my knowledge, the Auroura 9 has an extra pin or two in the module bay for the telemetry functions, so I am fairly sure that it will only take Hitec modules at this stage... that being said, there is no reason that you couldn't do a DIY kit inside an empty module box like I just did for the Skyion pistol grip transmitter. You just have to locate an old module box as a donor and away you go. Hitec's 2.4 system did really well in Bruce's review though, so I would be tempted to pay the money and get the original goodies...!
Roger

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 am

A friend of mine is an electrical designer and he chose the Hitec. He could afford any radio he wants but he chose the Hitec.
jeffie8696

Postby baner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 am

baner

Postby Skribbles » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:47 pm

Ta fellas.

Been thinking about it a bit more and as much as I would like to get an Optic 6, I think I will pass on it and grab the Turnigy radio and put the FrSky module in it.
My line of thought is...
Whats the point in spending $200+ on a radio now that I know is going to get repaced by the bigger brother $450 model.
Will just save up me coins and get what I would really like sooner instead of a more expensive stop-gap.
And when I do get the A9 (it seems there really isn't anything that compares in its price range... other than the SD 10G), I can just hack the FrSky module to fit.
$55 vs $200+, although I suppose I will be one Hitec receiver down (although its only a $60-$70 unit).
Skribbles

Postby hazzbro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Why don't you just buy a used Hitec Eclipse and get the Hitec 2.4 ghz module for it? Then, there's not a lot of reasons to move up to the Aurora (a few but not for most modelers). I've got this combination as well as the Aurora and they are both great solutions.
hazzbro

Postby aesmith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Skribbles wrote:Been thinking about it a bit more and as much as I would like to get an Optic 6, I think I will pass on it and grab the Turnigy radio and put the FrSky module in it.

Good move I think, I would do the same. In fact I'm thinking of selling on my Optic and going for 9x (Turnigy or other badge). The feature set of the Optic is great for a 6 channel set, but I've already found limitations with the inbuilt functions, limitations that aren't apparent from reading the manual. I now have my heart set on 9x with er9x software for a completely open set of mixes and switch assignments.
aesmith

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I would have to say that if money is an issue and you don't need the bells and whistles of something like the A9 the the Turnigy radio is the best bang for your buck on the market today.

The Hitec Eclipse is an *old* radio now and really shows its age in a number of areas. The Optic 6 is somewhat more capable but still quite a bit more spendy than the Turnigy.

The big problem with the Turnigy is actually getting your hands on one though -- they come into stock at HK and within a few short hours, they're on backorder again.

Of course if you want radios with more features then these days it's a battle between the A9, 8FG and DX8 -- all of which I will be reviewing as soon as I can round them up.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos