Spektrum DX8 and the long back order

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Spektrum DX8 and the long back order

Postby Bus429 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm

I ordered a DX8 in August through Al's hobbies in the UK. The original promise date was September but several calls to Al's - the latest today - reveal that they do not know when they will be in or how many they will be allocated in the next shipment. I'm getting a little restless - I suppose I should wait - but I'm thinking the way of the JR DSX9. Anyone else been frustrated by the short supply of the DX8?
Bus429

Re: Spektrum DX8 and the long back order

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:02 am

There have been a few "issues" with the DX8 so perhaps they're holding up the supply chain while they fix them -- rather than have to recall product once it's in the field.

I guess you're already committed to DSM2?

I would not recommend DSM2 to anyone contemplating the purchase of new radio gear at this time. It's old technology with proven limitations that seem to be causing an increasing number of problems.

There is much better technology available (often for a lower price).

Having said that -- I'm presently reviewing the JR11X and the DSMJ 2.4GHz system that can be purchased with it.

Should be done by early next week.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Bus429 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks - what alternative would you suggest? Futaba (FASST)?
Bus
Bus429

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 pm

What do you fly and what kind of capabilities do you need in a radio?

Bang-for-buck you can't beat the Turnigy 9X V2, especially if you use some of the excellent 3rd-party software that's now available.

For ease of programming and "coolness" you can't beat the Aurora 9 with its touchscreen and telemetry -- their AFHSS system is also rock-solid (an area where the DSM2 systems are very weak). However if you're into hard-core 3D heli-flying you may find the A9's higher latency to be a drawback.

If you want something really contemporary in styling and pretty good value then there's the JR 11X Zero -- the one which looks like a Transformer toy. It has very strong (albeit not as easy to use as the A9) programming and if you get the right version you can replace the removable RF module with something better than DSM2 -- albeit at the loss of some channels.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a Futaba 8FG so I can compare it to the A9, JR11X and DX8.

Unfortunately, apart from the nice guys at Hitec, none of the "brand name" manufacturers feel confident enough in their products to actually submit a sample for review. What does that tell you? :-)
RCModelReviews

Postby TG72 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Bruce the "JR 11X Zero" reminds me of the "Jet-Pack that was strapped to the back of the Rocketeer!
TG72

Postby Asad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Bruce, when can the A9 review be expected? If you are waiting for the 8FG, could you instead individually review them and then do a comparison later on? It's been some time since the last article on the blog/website.
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Nearly done Asad. I should have the A9 and the 11X up at about the same time.

I'm reviewing them separately and then drawing some comparisons.
RCModelReviews

Postby Bus429 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm in a quandary now: do I can the order for the Spektrum and go for the Aurora 9 (but it has that coax from the 2.4 module running outside the case) or do I stay with Futaba? Any advice appreciated (the club at which I fly in Cumbria has a preponderance of 2.4 sets but - with a relatively few members flying at the same time and a variety of JR, Futaba and Spektrum 2.4 GHz sets in use - we rarely see any problems. Having said that, I remember on Spektrum flyer experiencing a "brown out").
Bus429

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 am

I haven't seen a DX8 (Horizon/Spektrum don't seem keen on me casting an objective eye over one) but the very fact it's strictly DSM2 (and has already suffered a rash of "issues", some requiring return to distributor repairs) puts me off that particular radio.

What the A9 lacks in terms of "tech specs" (ie: latency and resolution) it more than makes up for in terms of ease of use and the resilience of its RF link. I would also really miss the sliders on the side of the case that I've become so used to with the other "brand-name" radios I've used, like the JR9XII/9303, Futaba 9C and even my Hitec Optic 6.

Futaba is okay - but unless you want to go with the FrSky 8-channel FASST-compatible receiver, you will pay a lot more and there's no telemetry path yet defined for those systems.

The coax cable on the A9 worried me a bit too -- but having had one in my hands I have to say it's far more impressive in the flesh than it is in the advertising and the touch screen combined with clever software makes programming a breeze. The Coax becomes a non-issue once you actually use an A9 :-)
RCModelReviews

Postby Bus429 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks very much; a chat at the field this morning reinforced the notion of canning the DX8, too. For the budget, the Hitec looks like the one.
Bus429

Next

Return to Radios and Servos