FrSky module with turnigy

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

FrSky module with turnigy

Postby flymac » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 am

hi bruce. .

i've seen your review about RC for a long time. .you're great!!i like to read your review.
i got my 9x radio with flysky branded 2 days ago. .i really impressive with this radio. .btw, i got this radio in 3 weeks in Indonesia. :lol: :lol: ....what a long time, huh. .

i have a few question about this radio. i would like to change the module with the FrSky like you do with your Imax 9x. is the module just fit in the transmitter or has a few changes in the board??or it just work with the mod of 8$ battery that you do a couple of months ago??

thanks bruce for your explaination. .sorry for my bad english. .
flymac

Re: FrSky module with turnigy

Postby disco stu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 am

I'm sure there is a thread or 2 about the turnigy 9x and the FrSky module around here. I think I read on there that you have to do something about the aerial, but mine is screwed in instead of the hot glue like in Bruce's review
disco stu

Postby AE25 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:43 am

I have a turnigy 9x with Frsky module fitted. my aerial was hot glued in.
you need to cut or unsolder the original grey aerial wire so that the frsky module can plug into the transmitter. no changes required to the board. if you plan to use the 9x module later, then best to unsolder the aerial wire from the 9x module so it can be connected back in future. it is a good idea to open up the transmitter and pull the grey wire through the hole and wrap some insulation tape around it so it doesn't short out on anything inside. or you can wriggle the plastic aerial out completely and bung something in the hole to keep dust out.

the battery mod is only to replace the battery holder that comes with the radio (which has poor connection issues) with a lower voltage lithium battery. the battery mod has nothing to do with the module.
-Mark
warbird fan and old toyota's
AE25

Postby flymac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 am

disco stu wrote:I'm sure there is a thread or 2 about the turnigy 9x and the FrSky module around here. I think I read on there that you have to do something about the aerial, but mine is screwed in instead of the hot glue like in Bruce's review

AE25 wrote:I have a turnigy 9x with Frsky module fitted. my aerial was hot glued in.
you need to cut or unsolder the original grey aerial wire so that the frsky module can plug into the transmitter. no changes required to the board. if you plan to use the 9x module later, then best to unsolder the aerial wire from the 9x module so it can be connected back in future. it is a good idea to open up the transmitter and pull the grey wire through the hole and wrap some insulation tape around it so it doesn't short out on anything inside. or you can wriggle the plastic aerial out completely and bung something in the hole to keep dust out.

the battery mod is only to replace the battery holder that comes with the radio (which has poor connection issues) with a lower voltage lithium battery. the battery mod has nothing to do with the module.

thanks AE25 and disco stu. .very glad to read your explanation about this radio. .
actually, the aerial fixed at the module. i think it very easy because the aerial is screwed in the module. is it just change the module, right??the fixed aerial in the transmitter is for FM/PPM. it easy to changed the frequency to 72 Mhz or 35 Mhz.

what the issues about the battery holder??i haven't hear that. .:lol:
very hard to found li-ion battery like that in here. so i decided to use sanyo eneloop battery. any suggestion for the batttery??i think it's the best way if i won't use the li-ion battery, isn't it??

sorry man about my english. .
flymac

Postby disco stu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:57 am

In my JR I changed the battery pack to low self discharge batteries, similar to eneloops but not as good. I havn't charged the battery in ages, I can't believe how much of the battery was drained by self discharge, as I would charge every week normally before, now its been almost 2 months and its still over 10v, not flying every day thought, maybe a few hours a week.

I would recomend changing the battery pack
disco stu

Postby flymac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 pm

disco stu wrote:In my JR I changed the battery pack to low self discharge batteries, similar to eneloops but not as good. I havn't charged the battery in ages, I can't believe how much of the battery was drained by self discharge, as I would charge every week normally before, now its been almost 2 months and its still over 10v, not flying every day thought, maybe a few hours a week.

I would recomend changing the battery pack

nice info. .so if i would change the battery pack, which one??should i use low self discharge battery or li-po battery pack??what losses and benefit by using li-po pack??as far as i know, the voltage of 3s li-po pack almost 12.6 v.is that true??

so, is it ok if i use Frsky module and changed the battery pack to 3s li-po??
flymac

Postby disco stu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 am

Have a search on here on the issue, but I did read somewhere here that 2.4ghz doesn't need 9.6v like 36 etc mhz does, so you can run your radio fine on 2s instead of 3s, its just that your radio alarm will go off. If its a turnigy 9x, then you can adjust the alarm in the custom firmware or do the resistor mod that Bruce showed in his 2s mod.

I would rather not have to stuff around so I just used the batteries I had here, plus I avoid lipos if I can. I'm not overly experience with lipos though, being mainly glider flyer, so others would answer that one better
disco stu

Postby flymac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:57 am

disco stu wrote:Have a search on here on the issue, but I did read somewhere here that 2.4ghz doesn't need 9.6v like 36 etc mhz does, so you can run your radio fine on 2s instead of 3s, its just that your radio alarm will go off. If its a turnigy 9x, then you can adjust the alarm in the custom firmware or do the resistor mod that Bruce showed in his 2s mod.

I would rather not have to stuff around so I just used the batteries I had here, plus I avoid lipos if I can. I'm not overly experience with lipos though, being mainly glider flyer, so others would answer that one better

oh yeah. .i have read that. .that 2.4ghz doesn't need 9.6v. just need below 9.6v. although there is also above 6.0v to make it work.
i interested about the custom firmware. but it is very difficult to get the hardware and also I am not an expert in electronics.

personally, what do you recommend for the battery??which the best?
flymac

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Just a heads-up. The 9X reflash video/article is almost done and I'm also waiting on a Telemetry-enabled DIY kit to do an FrSky conversion feature/video for these radios.

It's actually easier and more elegant to use a DIY module in these radios, since you can still use the internal antenna.

Stay tuned.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby flymac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:26 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Just a heads-up. The 9X reflash video/article is almost done and I'm also waiting on a Telemetry-enabled DIY kit to do an FrSky conversion feature/video for these radios.

It's actually easier and more elegant to use a DIY module in these radios, since you can still use the internal antenna.

Stay tuned.

wow. .i can't wait for that. .i've been waiting for that module tutorial. .
but, which is the best for this transmitter module??the built in aerial in the module or the native like turnigy 9x v2??
thank bruce for the information. . :P :P
flymac

Next

Return to Radios and Servos