The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby funtana » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Likewise no problems what so ever with my two systems, however we now have more users appearing at the field so untill we get the definative answer i'll cross check with anybody who appears with a new system, we recently had a new user take off with his module still in range check mode and wrecked a brand new model, i must admit im'e more concerned about this design flaw than this possible new issue as i feel that some time in the future it will probably catch me out.
funtana

Postby fanman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Thats a good point regarding range check mode. I've made it a habit now to range check the model, shut the whole thing down, refuel or doing something else then restart.

So if I understand correctly the reported clash was only intermittent?
fanman

Postby F111 John » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Perhaps FrSky should print the GUID number on every TX module. Then at the flying field we'll need a TX impound with 65,535 frequency pins!

I don't think this is going to amount to much during everyday flying, but it might crop up again at large meets.
F111 John

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Beton wrote:Hello Mister Bruce,

I Think it's good to warn people for this kind of problems.
That's the reason that I am surprised that there is no warning for the same problems with the Corona DSSS system.
In the Netherlands we have problems with this system.

Yes, I was trying to get some information from Corona and planning to write about it.

FrSky responded immediately to my questions regarding the incident I witnessed with assurances that changes will be made.

I'm not sure what Corona are planning to do -- although I know they have some new products in the pipeline.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby fanman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:48 am

Bruce, are the changes likley to effect the TX module only or both TX module & RX?
fanman

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:51 am

It depends on how they implement the changes. In theory, if they could *guarantee* a unique GUID from 16 bits (and I doubt they've sold 65536 modules or DIY kits yet) then the receiver would need no changes -- the transmitters could be reflashed to ensure a unique code.

However, I doubt that's going to happen because unless they've kept a log of what GUIDs have been issued, they won't know what's out there.

This means there may be a reflashing of the receivers required as well. In the case of the standard V8 systems, that's a little harder than with the 2-way ones (which won't need a reflash for this issue anyway).

If they can create a backwards-compatible change to the GUID structure (hard but possible) then they could allow new unique 24 or 32 -bit transmitter GUIDs to be created in the transmitter module that would guarantee no clash when used with a revised version of the receivers (probably shipped with a G24 or G32 sticker to show they're new) but which would still work with existing receivers -- albeit with the risk of a clash still remaining.

As I said... this is one of the benefits of buying from a local dealer rather than at the "lowest price". I'm sure that whatever the solution, the updates will be available via local support dealers and that'll probably be free (or close to it) for their own customers, a little more expensive for those who have purchased elsewhere.
RCModelReviews

Postby Beton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Bruce,

We now know that Corona and FrSky have some serious problems with their ID’s.
Do you know if other (Chinees) manufacturers, like Assan, FlySky or WFly have an unique ID or could they have the same problems?
Is this something you can test or do you need information from the manufacturers to determine this?

Kind regard,

Beton
Beton

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 am

It's not something that's easy to test -- without getting very technical.

I'm still waiting to hear of any other reports of UID clashes with the FrSky gear and have had none -- so it doesn't look as if it's too widespread an issue right now.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:56 am

I can confirm this is the first reported incident of a GUID clash at least that has been reported to FrSky.
kneedrag

Postby Heather » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:00 pm

[quote][To be clear this is the first reported issue of this happening. I will not mention another large brand name manufacture who's tx's all defaulted there GUID's to zero's effectively allowing any of there tx's to take control of another rx.

Granted this should not have happened it the first place however FrSky is addressing the issue on the first occurrence of this. Not many manufactures address issues like this on the first occurrence.
/quote]

I presume you are referring to Futaba? If so there was only 1 actual GUID clash confirmed in the US. Yes a small number of 7 channel modules 7C & 6EX radios had the manufacturing error but once the issue was identified by returning the suspect units to Futaba and advisory was released and a GUID checker made and sent to dealers so they could check other radios. On the contrary I believe that other manufacturers take issues like this very seriously on the first proven occurance and do take steps to fix. Spektrum has issued recalls for Rx's that did not meet design specs is another example.

Heather
Heather

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos