The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby indyjem » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:27 am

I just saw a post from Eva on RC Groups that confirmed this is still the only incident and they do not have the offending hardware yet. It implies random assignment and and coincidence that two with same number got together, but that is me reading between the lines. She says they are going to 24 bit starting next run, hopefully not random. Do you have any idea if that will mean old receivers will not bind new modules, or old modules will not bind new receivers? Not sure I understand exactly how the GUID in executed in the receiver or module.
indyjem

Postby SteveM » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 am

My thoughts entirely........posed question to Eva on RCG.
-
If all OK with existing receivers, and the 24 bit, "unique guid" version really surfaces, may just install this in place of my V8HT.
It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
-
Steve
SteveM

Postby RobC » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:43 pm

anyone know how many bits Corona use? IIRC, holding in the bind button too long resets the ID, so they must also be randomly assigned. Makes you wonder about other , 'bigger' manufacturers products.
I do like the idea that any clashes discovered at the field can be cured by resetting the ID and re-binding.
RobC

Postby karolh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:39 pm

As a very recent user of a FrSky 8 ch system in my Futaba 8UAF I will be following this thread very closely to see just how it all pans out.
karolh

Postby SteveM » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Kneedrag,

I am sure you will anyhow, but please add a brief "one-liner" to this thread when you have forwarded the suspect units to Frsky.
-
Other forums relating to this as follows:-
-
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,77362.0.html
-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 270&page=2
-
Happy New Year!
-
Many Tks, Steve
-
SteveM

Postby 7sp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 am

Yet another random FrSky user that is using the Hack Module in a recently converted Airtronics Radio... L@@king, Hoping, Waiting patiently for a answer to this issue from FrSky. For me the whole idea of converting was to help eliminate the random chance that someone could step on me. I was one of the lucky ones that over the many years never had any real issues with 72Mhz.

7SP
7sp

Postby karolh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

7sp wrote: For me the whole idea of converting was to help eliminate the random chance that someone could step on me. I was one of the lucky ones that over the many years never had any real issues with 72Mhz.
7SP

Exactly the very same reason why I switched.

Karol
karolh

Postby SteveM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Email response from Eva as follows:-
-
-
-
"Dear Steve,
Thank you for your PM, just surprised that you did not get my last reply. According to your previous and new questions, here I would like to re-organise again.

First of all, this is the only and exclusive report back until now. We think this is an occasional coincident, and it is not a big problem, so no need to be overstrung. Besides, we think our system is safe enough. The reason we will be using 24-bit since our next batch is to take extending system capacity into consideration and take preventative measures.

Both V8 and two way series will use 24 bit. In theory, there would be possibility existing that GUID of V8 is generated randomly. If you require unique GUID, we would suggest you to go with telemetry module.

We have not received the two sets yet, but our NZ dealer has been collecting them. I heard that one customer may need some time to remove the DIY module. Will report back as soon as they arrive and we do further inspection.

Many thanks for your attention and best regards!
Eva"
-
-
-
So.....appears that the only way of guarantee of unique ID is any of the telemetry options.
-
Steve
SteveM

Postby SteveM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Folks,

Further probing obtained following response:-
-
Dear Steve,
Sorry if I misunderstood you, as I am not a native English language master.

For telemetry system, the same set in its V8 mode and two way mode share the same unique GUID. Some former batches of V8 systems generated ID randomly, so we can not guarantee 100% that ID from later batches will have zero risk of clash with formaer batches, and this possibility can be excluded completely. If you ask for unique GUID to work with your V8 receivers, then telemetry system is a better option.

Telemetry hack module DHT is under its final test, and presumed be released at the end of this month.

Many thanks again for your attention and best regards!
Eva
-
I think I will buy the "DHT" hack, when it comes out, and use it in V8 mode, although I will not panic......I am sure you all have similar experiences, but mine of FrsKy is as follows:
I have made many test flights with V8HT and small twinjet.
Previously, on 35Mhz, I experienced glitching if flew too low in adjacent fields, the other side of a barbed wire fences.
-
Tested FrSky......Left TX near car.,...over the other side of the field, crouched down, behind two layers of barbed wire fence, also placing my body between plane and Tx...could not cause RX to go into f/safe in any orientation at all!
-
Then flew low down in large circles in adjacent fields......ABSOLUTELY rock solid throughout! (cf....35Hhz would have guaranteed glitches)
-
Power-cycled TX when plane at height many times....instant (less than a second) regain of control.
-
My receiver antennae...the one placed vertical is right next to a aluminium heatsink of my homemade BEC. Despite this, all control is REALLY robust .....I am very impressed.
-
Rgds, Steve (UK)
SteveM

Postby karolh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Steve....That response from Eva does not sound so good for us non telemetry unit users, does it ??

Karol
karolh

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos