The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby aesmith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:55 am

As I read one of the earlier emails, only " .. some early .. " batches had their GUIDs assigned at random. It sounds as if the only conflict that can exist is when one of the conflicting modules is from one of those early batches. If Frsky would tell us how to determine whether a module did or did not come from one of those batches then we'd be a step forward. Even if it was a cut off date that would be better than nothing, and concerned organisers would have the option of insisting that these early module are not used.

A module is around £12 at the moment, so if I found that mine came from one of the suspect batches then personally I'd have no problem scrapping it and buying a new one.

By the way, if a dealer or an end-user could change the GUID, how would he be sure it was unique? Unless each used and dealer was issued with their own exclusive prefix or block, I can't see how it could be tracked.
aesmith

Postby raptor22 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am

kneedrag wrote:Time for me to have a talk with them again.

Either way the second module landed on my doorstep today so I will be sending them off to FrSky tomorrow.

Around the e-mail bare in mind it will depend on who you have been talking to at FrSky. Some of the Chinglish translations can be lost in the message. I spend great lengths of time in conversation verifying everything that is said. e-mail is not always conducive to this, the answer is not normally the first conclusion. What is said and what they mean can be totally different. Only a two way dialog can sort this out.

Also they don't think it is a big problem right now as there has only been one instance of a clash and the units that clashed have not been inspected. The plausible theory is that there is a GUID clash sounds however it is not proven. Once proven then this all may change.

For now be aware there is an possible 1 in 65355 issue, pending investigation a decision will be made on how to fix it or get around the issue. In the mean time I will be talking to them around this issue and the best way to solve it once the root cause has been isolated and proven. Until then it is unfortunately sit tight it is being investigated and what happens post the investigation will be the telling sign.

In the mean time I will continue to run my FrSky in my gliders however I will just be more aware of new people to the slope with FrSky kit.

7sp wrote:L@@ks like we are on our own guys....I received a new email today from FrSky that basically says..

"we don't think it is a big problem"
"even DSM technoloy or DSSS technology all have such problem"
"we will not recall or not change anything"
"We will only warn you that it has such posibility"
"For the new frsky modules V 8 series ,we will give them all unique ID"

Somewhat different then the last email, saying that they are working on the problem and a fix, but will be changing the new system to allow the user to change his own GUID.

I guess a twisted version of that logic would be:

If I say it's no big deal then it's no big deal.
Yes just because your brother jumped off the bridge it's OK for you to follow.
No you keep it... we like it just the way it is.
Excuse me, you may want to land now, I'm turning on my radio.
But wait there's more....

Well it's back to flying or crashing whatever the case may be. :D

7SP

Kneedrag, I think your approach is best.

and for now I have to agree with FrSKY that it is no big deal.thats not burying my head in the sand at all, but just simple logic. With a 1in 65355 chance of a conflict on what probably amounts to a batch of only 10000 units the odds of further conflicts are even more remote.
They say the issue is confined to an early batch then there really is no big deal. It is conceivable that the two modules were dispatch with the same order. There is sufficient knowledge to manage the protential problem.

Also like you say, on incident does not an epidemic make. Its still a fantastic system, reliable etc.

Also if anyone believes the DSM2 GUID is a safety net be very careful since I doubt that is true. Overlapping signals can cancel each other in parts of the wave rendering the signal unrecognisable. this is how clever signal jammers work and are std issue in the Army, hence defense forces use Frequencyhopping systems to not get jammed. the fact that this incident did not result in a downed airplane is a demostration of the advantage of FHSS or a constantly agile DSSS.

yip the (Fr)sky is still up there.

te response form FrSky is not atypical and its also not poor customer service. Its just plain and simple risk managment. How long did it take Spektrum to acknowledge they had a problem? that was criminal. This incident pales into insignificance.
raptor22

Postby kneedrag » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 am

Actually it is quite simple. FrSky would know what the GUID ranges are and could allocate the dealers a range of GUID's in a DB. Dealer has unit to reflash/update pulls GUID from DB and that GUID is marked unavailable.

aesmith wrote:By the way, if a dealer or an end-user could change the GUID, how would he be sure it was unique? Unless each used and dealer was issued with their own exclusive prefix or block, I can't see how it could be tracked.
kneedrag

Postby 7sp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm

I agree Bruce, it's a shame and there are many options suggested and open for them to take.

kneedrag wrote:Time for me to have a talk with them again.

Either way the second module landed on my doorstep today so I will be sending them off to FrSky tomorrow.

Around the e-mail bare in mind it will depend on who you have been talking to at FrSky. Some of the Chinglish translations can be lost in the message. I spend great lengths of time in conversation verifying everything that is said. e-mail is not always conducive to this, the answer is not normally the first conclusion. What is said and what they mean can be totally different. Only a two way dialog can sort this out.

I hope you have better luck kneedrag with the Chinglish and they once again recant and change their position. It would not be the first time.

At this point my confidence in them is somewhat shaken. They promote a product that claims to be interference and conflict free, yet admit that they can in fact can conflict with themselves (regardless of the outcome of the 2 suspect units). They admitted (to me) they have no way of knowing what the actual GUID's are in use or who has them. They have changed the description on how the units actually function several times (based on information reported back in the forums and to me).

I may also just bite the bullet and purchase a new conflict free TX module (if one is ever made) and at least save the investment in receivers. However based on the history and the fact that many things they have said are untrue. How can we trust the the new units will be any better? They seem to have no guilt about not cleaning up one potential mess before making another or promoting features that their products do not contain.

Bottom line, It still seems to be a game of Russian roulette as far as GUID's some winners some losers and as Client Eastwood so eloquently put it....
Client Eastwood wrote: I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

Do you feel lucky?
7SP
7sp

Postby kneedrag » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 am

The units are now on there way to FrSky for official investigation. Will let you know once they arrive.

Tracking details for those anxious.... http://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/tracking
Tracking number EP307971989NZ

I would hold off purchasing a new unit if you are currently flying and have not had an issue. Baring in mind that there has only been one occurrence of this happening and the Futaba FASST issue was far worse as they had whole runs of tx's with the same zero GUID going out. There may still be a work around pending the investigation.

I agree it is irritating, however as long as you are aware of the potential for conflict and take steps to preflight etc and check with other new FrSky users you will be fine.

As for the Chinglish being the NZ Distributor here for FrSky I spend a lot of my time talking to them so I have plenty of practise understanding the meaning behind the words.

As per normal I will let you know as soon as I know anything.
kneedrag

Postby pushinoldrc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:34 am

Thank you kneedrag for you concern and hard work.
I am still very happy with my units and am slowly changing out my Corona stock with FrSky. I am the only person in my area that uses any aftermarket systems. Most of the guys I fly with are stuck on Futaba Fasst and Spektrum. I find that I have a lot more variety in choosing a radio that 'Fits', and I am learning many of the different manufacturers programming trees.
I really like the fast boot of the FrSky system. This is the main feature that has sold me on this system.
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby lexmark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I noticed there was talk of some of the early units being more of a problem or more susceptible to being a problem. Does anyone (kneedrag maybe) know when the system was first being distributed or sold, has me curious. Thanks, lex
lexmark

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:18 pm

[quote][Baring in mind that there has only been one occurrence of this happening and the Futaba FASST issue was far worse as they had whole runs of tx's with the same zero GUID going out./quote]

But just like this issue with Frsky there was only one reported actual clash at a flying field reported. Until the units are inspected you do not know if there are only two modules in world that clash or a whole run...

Heather
Heather

Postby RobC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm

lexmark wrote:I noticed there was talk of some of the early units being more of a problem or more susceptible to being a problem. Does anyone (kneedrag maybe) know when the system was first being distributed or sold, has me curious. Thanks, lex

I had one of the first sets bought into the UK for assessment, initial impressions were posted on GiantCod's website and RCG on Jan 16, 2010 (is it only a year?)
Damn, missed it, but better late than never - all together now:

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear FrSky,
Happy Birthday to you

Sorry about that, normal service will now be resumed
RobC

Postby karolh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:42 am

RobC wrote: All together now:

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear FrSky,
Happy Birthday to you

Sorry about that, normal service will now be resumed

Nothing like a bit of good humor to help lighten up a thread such as this ;)

Karol
karolh

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos