The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 20, 2011 7:30 am

If you haven't seen it already, check the front page of the RCModelReviews.com website for an important advisory regarding the latest GUID conflict that has occurred with the FrSky system.

Fortunately, there is an easy fix and it needs only be done once.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 7sp » Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

RCModelReviews wrote:If you haven't seen it already, check the front page of the RCModelReviews.com website for an important advisory regarding the latest GUID conflict that has occurred with the FrSky system.

Fortunately, there is an easy fix and it needs only be done once.

Thanks Bruce, I was just looking here to see if you had seen the posting on their site yet.

Great job FrSky. This is how information and updates should be issued to the world.

I'm glad to see that this was an easy fix, But It's still a shame they are not so responsive for the V8HT issues.

7SP
7sp

Postby SteveM » Fri May 20, 2011 9:02 am

HHHmmmmmm!!!
-
So, I wonder what happens when the transmitter is in its V8 option, when first put into bind mode, as I have.
-
I did this in V8 mode initially for 3 x V8 receivers, then subsequently purchased some D8R's, and bound them, with DHT in 2-way mode obviously, to test.
-
Switched back to V8 mode to fly with the V8 receivers all OK, but now do I have fixed zero-ID now for life, as I "missed the boat" as far as putting DHT in 2-way mode for its 1st bind????
-
Posed question to Eva.....anyone hazard a guess as to what the answe may be?
-
Steve
SteveM

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 am

I would expect that the first 2-way bind copies (at least part of) the 24bit GUID into the 1-way data area.

If you in 1-way first, you use a zero GUID that is the default value for that data area.

I would suspect that each time you bind in 2-way mode, it simply re-copies the 24bit GUID data (or part thereof) to the 1-way data area.

Easy to test -- did you have to rebind your 1-way receivers after you bound your first 2-way receiver?

And remember -- you don't actually have to perform a bind -- you only have to enter the bind mode in 2-way mode for the copy to be done.

I have a couple of "virgin" 2-way systems here I can use to check next week.
RCModelReviews

Postby SteveM » Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 am

Bruce,
-
No!!!!
-
I did not need to re-bind my V8 receivers after having tested a few D8R's.
-
Rgds, Steve
-
SteveM

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 am

Okay, that doesn't sound so good... I'll ask Eva for more info.
RCModelReviews

Postby indyjem » Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 am

If this is true it would explain my situation, I have no two way receivers and am certain I did not do a two way mode bind on either. We need some test on virgin systems for sure.
indyjem

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 20, 2011 10:56 am

I've also asked Eva to tell us whether this is a newly introduced issue or if it's always been there.

I suspect it's relatively new -- otherwise 2-way systems would have been shooting each other down all over the place when used in 1-way mode.

if that's the case, then if you have a unit that's not affected by the problem, your GUID was already set in the 1-way mode anyway so you didn't/won't need to do the 2-way bind and, if you do, nothing will change but you won't have a zero GUID.
RCModelReviews

Postby indyjem » Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Eva sent me an Email detailing that they had duplicated my issue and the resolution. She confirmed all factory ships going forward will be fixed prior to shipment.

Bruce - is this possibly tied to the GUID issue on the V8 modules, and somehow Frsky change the method of the one way GUID being populated as that issue was investigated?
This would exlain older unit not needing rebind, but my situation on the newer units.
indyjem

Postby funtana » Fri May 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Both my 2 way hacks were bought together and both were initially bound in one way mode as at that time i didn't own any 2 way receivers, one has been used since in 2 way mode the other has never been used in 2 way mode, as i have reported earlier i have no interaction between them but how do i know for sure that one of them doesn't have zero guid,
so how do those of us who have initially bound in one way mode resolve this problem to be absolutely sure we have a unique guid, is it again a case of throwing them in the bin and buying two more new ones or will there be some sort of exchange offered (only joking!!!) i think i know the answer.
funtana

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos