Old Futaba Radios

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Old Futaba Radios

Postby ehub1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Questions about the old digital proportional systems. We would like to add more planes to our hangar but would like to use the radios that we already have. They are 4 channel Futaba's Conquest, Attack-4. The receivers for them are almost as much as buying a new system, can we buy RX from CARONA and have them work with our radios? And which ones CARONA has an 8 CH. that they say will work with Crystal type systems that bind to your TX, will they work with the non- computer radios?

Could someone explain the difference between single and duel conversion RX's and what would work with the radios we have?

We don't realy need to upgrade to the 2.4 systems as we have our own field so not much chance of interference from other radios. We fly Park flyers and gas planes up to 72inch wing spans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
ehub1

Re: Old Futaba Radios

Postby Flash1940 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 pm

ehub;
Here is a pretty good article for you to read.....>>> http://users.tpg.com.au/users/ldbutler/Superhet.htm
If you have questions after reading this.....I will be glad to help.
There's a lot of history in the article......but that's where it all started....
Thank you Brandley.....Marconi.....Armstrong......Atwater-Kent......and the list is huge !!!

Flash
Flash1940

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:15 am

You need to know if your systems are AM or FM first of all. Dual conversion receivers filter the incoming signal twice but you can also get single conversion which may not have as good of filtering but work very well and are less expensive, I use one several times a week on my Slow Stick.
Perhaps you could get 2.4G conversion modules installed so you can forget about it, they are uber cheap.
jeffie8696

Postby ehub1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Can you install the 2.4 DIY in the old radio's? We have both AM and FM.
ehub1

Postby ehub1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks Flash the article did help somewhat, have a better idea how the radios work now.
ehub1

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:42 pm

ehub1 wrote:Can you install the 2.4 DIY in the old radio's? We have both AM and FM.

The FM ones that use ppm may be compatible with the FrSky DIY system. There are several posts and videos illustrating the use of this system. I have converted two of my systems to FrSky. I like the frequency hopping system they use. There has been one incident of GUID pairing.....so most are advising the use of the two-way DIY system to avoid this problem. They are easy to install if you have average soldering skills .....or someone there in your group that fools around with electronics or is a ham radio guy. Go up on the Hobby King site......all that stuff is up there. If I were you......I would try one as an experiment......then go from there. I had a lot of doubts at first.....but now I'm convinced the system is nearly bullet-proof. It's as good as any DSM or Futaba later model systems. I have one of those spectrum analyzers like Bruce uses to view the output signal. The signal from a FrSky transmitter is an amazing thing to see. That signal is scattered all over the 2.4 GHZ band. And another thing.....The RX that comes with the DIY kit will do FAILSAFE.....which is a really great improvement over the systems you are now using.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:53 am

Flash1940 wrote:The FM ones that use ppm may be compatible with the FrSky DIY system.

The AM systems use the same PPM coding as the FM, so should also be compatible.
JMP_blackfoot

Postby ehub1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks guys i will look into the conversion.
ehub1

Return to Radios and Servos