Turnigy 9x V2 LCD Screen Replacement

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Turnigy 9x V2 LCD Screen Replacement

Postby dompv » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 am

I found to remove the ribbon cable from its socket there is a small plastic tab on the left & right side of the cable. Push them up towards the antenna. Then the cable will slide up and out.

I have been searching for confirmation of the actual LCD display which is a replacement. Looking at posts to find someone who actually replaced the LCD with one that works. My problem is my LCD on transmitter turn on is blank. Happened a week ago and 10 mins later the display was fine. Now it is blank again. I have checked connections, reseated the LCD ribbon cable and nothing. My next thought is trying a new LCD. Thoughts?
dompv

Postby FlyingTiger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Replacement screens are at RHobbies.com. Sold out at the moment but they are carrying them!!!

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail ... cps2845001
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:55 pm

dompv wrote:I found to remove the ribbon cable from its socket there is a small plastic tab on the left & right side of the cable. Push them up towards the antenna. Then the cable will slide up and out.

I have been searching for confirmation of the actual LCD display which is a replacement. Looking at posts to find someone who actually replaced the LCD with one that works. My problem is my LCD on transmitter turn on is blank. Happened a week ago and 10 mins later the display was fine. Now it is blank again. I have checked connections, reseated the LCD ribbon cable and nothing. My next thought is trying a new LCD. Thoughts?

That could be overheating or a broken cable
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 am

I just finished installing the FrSky DIY with telemetry... Have not got a Rx to test it yet but all seemed to be working fine... Was testing all the menus and controls when after about 5 minutes the screen went black... Switched off and on and the screen displays the splash screen for less than a second and goes black again... Does it every time I turn it on... The LED for the FrSky is still on and will switch to range test mode... Looks like a contact giving way under load... Could it be coincidental that the screen has bad after I did the mod as I can't think of any thing I did would effect the display..?
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 am

It might be worth opening the Tx up again, just to make sure the LCD cable is still plugged in properly.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 am

Yeah, did that Sid... I've eliminated the LCD because I swapped it with the one in my other 9x... I had another 9x arrive as well today... I ordered it when they dropped to $38... Was going to on sell it on ebay, but might keep it now and put the smatieparts board in it with the FrSky DIY... That would give me one to use just for spares...
Keith

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 am

Bummer Keith. It still may be fixable though. But what the hell, $38??? My wife probably spent more than that today on lunch and the hairdressers.

Btw, you should have seen the faces at the club when I passed around the 9x after I told them the latest price and what it could do with the er9x FW (quite a few already use FrSKy Tx modules on their JRs etc).
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Shotglass » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 pm

those cheap 9xes are a trap i tell you
i originally bought mine as a cheap radio that i can basically keep in the car at all times to have something functional with me whenever i need it and when i dont want to carry the big mc24 with me (which is too expensive to keep in the car all the times as well)

and now that ive installed the frsky module... soldered in the programming cable... installed the backlight... toyed around with alternative firmwares... and started planning on soldering in the telemetry connection and potentially a bluetooth module... basically worked on it a whole lot ive formed an emotional bond with the stupid thing and consider it too valuable to toss around
Shotglass

Postby FlyingTiger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:06 am

Well, I knew it would happen. I got my replacement screen and opened up the radio to install it. Everything was going fine and I even wired in a switch to control the back light. I liked the Hobby King back light more than the one that comes with the Smartieparts board since it's brighter. I put it all back together and there is nothing on the screen. Just blank. So I check the connection and the little plastic shim that holds the ribbon cable for the screen in the connector is bent. I try a little force to push it in further and don't you know, it just breaks in half. Any ideas on how to seat my ribbon cable now? Damn, I hate when I screw up something so royally that ought to be so simple.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:29 am

I thought it was my ribbon cable at first... There is no way to hold the cable in while you push down the two end pieces... When I closed the case I thought something may have pushed to hard on it... But it can't be that as it worked for about five minutes, and now I get the splash screen for a split second before it goes black (not blank)...
With the HK backlight there is even less room to fit everything in so what I'm thinking of doing is fitting the FrSky board inside the old Flysky module... That will get it out of the way... May have a problem feeding the antenna cable through but I will work out something....
Keith

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos