Futaba Faast and fhss

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Futaba Faast and fhss

Postby PLaurence » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Would some explain the difference between Futaba's FASST and now their FHSS?
Why do they(we) need the FHSS :?:
PLaurence

Re: Futaba Faast and fhss

Postby Wrend » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Who said you need it?

Basically, Futaba's "FHSS" systems are a less expensive alternative for park flyer models. They're supposedly going to be making FTR (Futaba Transmitter Ready) models for them that you can link and fly (similar to the bind and fly stuff from Spektrum).

Futaba's higher end transmitters will be compatible with their different radio systems.
Wrend

Postby aeajr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 am

So FHSS is a shorter range 2.4? Is that what you are saying? What range would one consider short range?

Also I think I saw an S-FHSS - what does that mean?
aeajr

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:31 am

All different flavors of the same fruit.

The FHSS system is probably made using a cheaper-to-manufacture design (I haven't seen one so can't confirm that).

Then there's also the desire to keep the entry-level systems separate to the higher-level ones -- for purely marketing purposes.

It means you can get newcomers hooked on your entry-level product and then effectively empty their pockets again by requiring that they buy all new gear (due to the incompatibility) when they need more channels and features.

Call me a cynic but I'd say it's more of the latter than the former -- after all, the Chinese such as FrSky and Corona have shown us how much it actually costs to make a FASST receiver :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries