12 volt power ??

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

12 volt power ??

Postby mjs » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a astro flight ac/dc auto charger desingned to rapid charge nicad batteries containing from one to eight cells.I was wondering could i use this as a 12volt power supply rewire or come off the transformer?? can it be done ?
thanks mike
mjs

Re: 12 volt power ??

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Find an old automotive headlamp and wire both the high & low beam across the output of your charger. This should draw about 5 Amps at 12 volts. Problem is....your voltage needs to be a bit higher to charge 3S Lipos. If the headlamp trick works and you still have 12 V. or more when its lit....then you might pursue the project.....however....if the voltage drops down to 10 V. or below....it won't be worth your effort.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby ergocentric » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 am

A PC power supply is better regulated and can be had from the local junkyard dirt cheap.
a NiCad charger is designed for controlled current, not voltage
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am

Yes, I've done a video on the subject of converting an old PC supply to run your charger:

DIY: Using a PC power supply with your lipo charger
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

I use one I converted after Bruces vid for a foam cutter as well...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Glenn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 am

I have a G.T. Power A6-10 and would like to power it with a fixed transformer that gives out 14v 30amps. Anyone see a problem with this? Also could I hook up a Bec and power my servos etc for bench testing. thinking of running a special panel with various plugs etc for this purpose.

thoughts would be much appreciated as I am getting lost on the bench with all the wires and various components, would love to simplify it all.

Glenn
Glenn

Postby ergocentric » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Glenn wrote:I have a G.T. Power A6-10 and would like to power it with a fixed transformer that gives out 14v 30amps. Anyone see a problem with this? Also could I hook up a Bec and power my servos etc for bench testing. thinking of running a special panel with various plugs etc for this purpose.

thoughts would be much appreciated as I am getting lost on the bench with all the wires and various components, would love to simplify it all.

Glenn

Transformers output AC, you need DC, you would need to design and build a rectifier circuit to give the charger what it needs.

PC power supply is easier.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Keith,

I'd be interested in hearing more about your foam cutter. I'm building a couple here, one for making sheet stock and the other for assorted jobs but I can't figure a simple way to use a PC power supply for the job, unless I use it to power my iCharger which has an adjustable hotwire output. Using the iCharger is fine of course, but I don't want to add that sort of wear and tear on my fancypants charger.

Keith wrote:I use one I converted after Bruces vid for a foam cutter as well...
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries