battery???

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

battery???

Postby mjs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm

just got my turnigy 1,8 lipo and accucell 6 charger being new at this i watch bruce vid ( very helpfull) on how to put the battery in storage mode. Two cells worked but one is low after charging was complete. my other two batterys worked fine is this battery junk or can i still use it?
thanks mike
mjs

Re: battery???

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:23 am

What do you mean by "low"?

I've found that when putting batteries to storage voltages, it's isn't always perfectly even, just close.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby mjs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 am

there is almost a 1 volt low on one of the cells 4.25 4.27 3.75 after a balanced charge. I discharged the battery the two cells drop to 3.3 and the third one drops to 2.65 . my thinking this is bad??
mike
mjs

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:09 am

No cell should be discharged below 3 volts for sure.... ( I can't remember the exact number). Do not let a battery sit at that voltage for any length of time or it's toast for sure. I would attempt to charge it carefully... if it comes back, you may be OK.

I have a battery tester/amp meter that tells me the current state of charge and the voltages of each cell and it can also balance a pack for me by simply discharging the high cells until they match the lowest voltage one. Of course the pack needs to be at a reasonable charge rate first, for this to work.

You should know that chargers such as the accucell 6 can only deal with a somewhat out of balance battery. If there is a large difference between some cells, it would take a very long time for such a charger to bring the cells back into balance because of the way it works.

I would try to save that pack and see if it behaves normally after that but if it keeps loosing charge on that one cell... it's toast. If it's toast, I would connect something like a brake light bulb or some similar load to the main connector, place it outside on a concrete surface or some such and let it go until the battery is completely dead and then you can safely toss it in the trash or send to to your local recyclers. Of course, if you purchased the battery locally, I'd take it back and see if they won't replace it as it would obviously be defective. If you bought from places like Hobby King, you got it so cheap that it's not worth the effort to try and get a replacement under warranty.

Don't leave any cell in your pack drop below 3V for sure (I try to avoid going below 3.5V myself) and don't leave your packs fully charged for more than a day or so.... keep them at the storage charge of about 3.8V per cell.

Bruce just released his lipo video on Youtube, check it out.

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby mjs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm

i do have a cell checker from hk that tell when the volts drops bellow 3.0 v . I will try your advice it sounds reasonable to me i am new to this kind of stuff and not into toasted battery.
thanks mike
mjs

Postby cynr100 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I have read (somewhere in these forums) that storage charge should be 3.75 to 3.85 (max). My Accucell6 applies this to my batteries, I also use a watt meter/balancer to check and do the final balance.
I would suggest reducing the mAH value on the Accu6 to do a slow recharge, if you have a watt meter/balancer redo the balance when charged. Check the storage settings on your Accu6 then plug the battery in for a discharge to storage values.
Bruce also has a couple of vids on the Accucell 6, compulsory viewing.
If the battery is still not balanced get rid of it before it burns your house down.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby mjs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 am

I watched bruce vids a lot of good info and now makes sense.
mjs

Postby ergocentric » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:16 am

kaptain_zero wrote:Bruce just released his lipo video on Youtube, check it out.

subscribe to RCModelReviews on youtube

fixed that for you.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby mjs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

I am a subscriber from the usa and bruce by far as the best info in layman language a big benfit to the hobby.i am speading the word and hope he keeps up the good work.
mike
mjs

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 pm

I appreciate your support!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries