NiMh battery charger

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

NiMh battery charger

Postby hohocc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:13 pm

As an interim thing I am considering using NiMh batteries in my tx and rx (will go to more up to date batteries shortly). Can I use the standard (old) Futaba Nicad charger for the nimhs? In other posts Nicad/Nimh chargers seem to be referred to as one and the same, but I might just be seeing what I want to see rather than what I need to know!
Thanks.
hohocc

Re: NiMh battery charger

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:43 am

If you short change or short cut anything to do with your batteries their reliability and longevity will always come into doubt. Not to mention your safety.
My un-qualified recommendation would be NiCad for NiCad and NiMh for NiMh.

Check out this link from ergocentric :geek: :D

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am

If it's a trickle / overnight charger as it probably is it will be, it will be OK however the charge capacity may be for a smaller battery and it may require longer to fully charge the battery.
A lot of older trickle chargers are for a 1300 Milliamp hour battery whereas most useful Ni-Mh start at 2000 Milliamp hours. So if its a 14 hour charge specified on the old 1300 battery it will require about another 7 hours in this case for a full charge to a 2000 battery.
In any case it won't damage your batteries which is what you are asking isn't it.
More modern peak chargers are also OK as they cut off and deal with Ni-cd and Ni-Mh automatically but they can't be used through the protection diode attached to the charging socket in the TX .
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am

If you go for the NiMh cells use Sanyo Eneloop or the Turnigy LSD cells, any other none LSD cell will go flat just sitting on the shelf. Yes the standard radio charger will work fine, will possibly take longer to charge because the newer cells are 2 to 3 times the capacity of the old Nicd cells. The LSD cells are touted as when fully charged and left to sit will only lose 15% capacity over 12 months.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby quarry44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi Craig,your Futaba or other simple ni-cad charger will be just fine with nimh's.Give a new pack a deep 16 hour charge ,and after that just an overnight charge before you go out flying.This assumes a fairly standard 500-700Ah battery.For higher capacities,leave on charge longer.
quarry44

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 am

Nice to know we are all singing from the same song-sheet!!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby hohocc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for the responses chaps, my question was in part prompted by an AA charger we have at home having a nicad and nimh setting, with the label on it suggesting the difference was the time to charge. For conveinience being able to use the overnight (or maybe over several nights!) charger suits me at this stage but eventually I'll be dragged into the world of 21st century batteries. And probably electric powerplants too!
hohocc

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries