Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Re: Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Postby John_Edward » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:22 am

Sugna wrote:Hi all
is everyone using the 8.2k ohms resistor as listed or what looks the be a 820 ohms resistor shown in the photo?

That is Gray Red Black Brown Brown, or 8,2,0, x10^1, 1%, a 8.2kOhm +-1% resistor.

---

Also, if I have understood this correctly, in the mod you solder the 8.2kOhm resistor parallel to the 5.1kOhm one.
If this is the case, then you could technically just remove the 5.1kOhm resistor completely and only use one 3.2kOhm resistor, correct ?
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby Sugna » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 pm

ohh, right, it is a 5 banded one... sorry guys :oops:
Sugna

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Sugna wrote:Hi
I am thinking of doing the $8 battery mod, and I have 2 questions :?:
1. Which battery do you guy recommend? (brand, mAh etc.)
2. Should I put a balance tap on the battery?

Thanks in advance :)

Hard to recommend any particular brand over the others.. Good quality, name brand 18650 cells (typically Japanese or Korean made) cost around $15 to $20 or so per cell and may need the protection circuit added after the fact. The Insert name here-fire brands are made in China at varying quality, rarely meet the specs printed on their heat shrink wrapper and so it's often a gamble. However, the black w/red and yellow flames Trustfire cells I've purchased from Deal Extreme over the past two years have been pretty good. SKU 20392 is a pair of them for $9.99 including shipping which is pretty darn cheap.

If you are going to charge them as a pack, add the balance lead... you don't want them getting too far out of balance or one of the cells will eventually fail, or at the very least trip the protection circuit which will most likely not be re-settable, once tripped. You could also charge them individually, but that's a pain.... I just made up a charging harness for one of my hobby chargers and added the balance lead to the battery and charging becomes the same as any other Lipo pack.

And, like any other Lipo pack... if you are not using the radio for a week or more..... it won't hurt to do the storage charge on the pack. All LiIon/Lipo cells age rather quickly compared to other chemistries and conventional wisdom says 2 to 3 years is the typical lifespan, even with the proper use of a storage charge.

And you can use the Lipo setting on the hobby charger (4.2v final), the LiIon setting (4.1v final) was for the older technology LiIon batteries, but you would not hurt anything using the LiIon setting... you would just be a few mAh shy of full charge.

And finally, charge early and often.... lithium cells do not like full charge/discharge cycles.... They will last longer if you charge them before they are fully discharged.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby bob332 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 am

just picked up a 9x and like the thought of this battery setup. i live in the desert so any way i can cut down on my electronics having to deal with heat is good for me. i have a battery from a non working notebook here that yielded 6 16850 cells. how would i tell if the batts i have here from the notebook battery have the protection circuit in them without taking the 'wrapper' off? fwiw, this was a chinese replacement battery for an old ibm t40, not an oem ibm/lenovo battery.

also, is there any reason to change any of the 7805s to ldos? i plan to pick up the frsky telemetry setup - have not decided between the diy kit or the module - kind of leaning toward the diy kit since the antenna wire is soldered to the board on the turnigy module :roll: and it is not like one can really re-solder that antenna wire without the proper equipment to verify the re-solder did not make the connection worse....weird 'modular' setup

here is a cell phone pic of what came out of the notebook battery, maybe somebody can tell me if these batts have the protection in them or the protection is on the pcb?

thanks,
bob

bob332

Postby kaptain_zero » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 am

Those would be unprotected cells. The protection circuit is on a small circular pcb on the negative end of the battery and it's kept in place by the shrink wrap and there is also a strap from the positive end under the shrink wrap but with insulation underneath it, so it doesn't short against the outside case as it goes to the pcb on the negative end. Protected cells are normally used in the same manner we use common AA, C and D batteries, loaded into a tube or holder, such as a flashlight etc. The number 18650 means the cell is 18 mm in diameter and 65.0 mm long.

I can't really see from this picture but if the cells have tabs attached to the ends so that you don't have to solder your wires directly to the battery ends, you should be able to make up a pack. Heat is not good for LiIon cells, which is why tabs, protection circuits and buttons at the positive end are attached with a special spot welder that does not generate much excess heat.

The protection circuit is there to prevent a LiIon cell from turning into a terrorist cell. Thermal runaway is possible with Lithium batteries if they are discharged too far or charged to too high a voltage or with too great a current. Once a thermal runaway starts... there is nothing you can do to stop it, so put it quickly somewhere safe where nobody would get hurt when it "vents with flame"! I have seen the results of a flashlight being put away in a cupboard just as a cell overheated.... it was like a pipe bomb and though the end cap blew off, it was like a bullet and did some serious damage.

The circuit board shown above most likely contains the charging circuit as well as the protection/safety bits... shutting down the computer if the batteries were approaching over discharge and of course regulating the correct charge current/voltage limit.

You can use these cells if they have the tabs so you can solder the wires to them safely, but YOU will have to take the responsibility of monitoring their state of charge and never let them discharge lower than about 3.6V per cell.... Yes, I know you can go down closer to 3.x but once you reach 3.6V you will have discharged most of the stored energy anyway. I set my 9x to alert me when my pack reaches 7v but I always try to charge it before it gets that low. And remember to charge at no more than 1C... It should say the capacity on the shrink wrap, but if it doesn't.... I'd err on the safe side and maybe use 500mAh for a charge current.... I never use more than 1A even if the capacity of the cell is higher.... Mostly because I'm alergic to "Vent with Flame". <grin>

Regards

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby bob332 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 am

thanks for the info. i will not use these as i would rather have the protection built in. i do have larger lipos for my quads and they are stored in my fireplace in liposacks - i too am not a fan of any flaming/venting. i will also charge them at 500mA when i get the ones from deal extreme. i will basically treat them like i do my other lipos even though they are safer, in theory :).

any suggestions when i make my pack for a balance plug setup? a schematic? i have plenty of balance extension plugs for my 3s lipos, so i guess they would work for 2s, i would just connect the 2 wires.

thanks in advance,
bob
bob332

Postby Kozmyk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 am

kaptain_zero wrote:The protection circuit is there to prevent a LiIon cell from turning into a terrorist cell.
:lol:
I like it.

I'm just about to do a DIY replacement on my old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V7010 battery pack.
Wish me luck.

Knowing what I know now about lipos I'd have been better off discharging to 50%-60% then running the laptop from the mains with the battery pack removed, and only use the battery when I need it to be portable.
That's what I'll be doing in future.

For years I ran it with the battery in. What a waste.
Still, the pack lasted five years before it slowed down.
I don't suppose the makers want their stuff to last too long.
Kozmyk

Postby bmsweb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 am

Order Batteries and I'm planning on doing this conversion on an Eurgle and Turnigy 9x. I assume there is no problems with adding a balance lead so I can balance charge these using standard 2S Lipo setting on the charger?
bmsweb

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 am

bmsweb wrote: I assume there is no problems with adding a balance lead so I can balance charge these using standard 2S Lipo setting on the charger?

That is what I did and it works a treat.

Regards

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby ergocentric » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:17 pm

bob332 wrote:thanks for the info. i will not use these as i would rather have the protection built in. i do have larger lipos for my quads and they are stored in my fireplace in liposacks - i too am not a fan of any flaming/venting. i will also charge them at 500mA when i get the ones from deal extreme. i will basically treat them like i do my other lipos even though they are safer, in theory :).

any suggestions when i make my pack for a balance plug setup? a schematic? i have plenty of balance extension plugs for my 3s lipos, so i guess they would work for 2s, i would just connect the 2 wires.

thanks in advance,
bob

dealextreme sells the protection boards separate from the batterys
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

PreviousNext

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries