Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Re: Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Postby GTiDon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Hello
I have a later 9X and the board seems slightly different where you solder the resistor, There is a contact pad in the top track and I could solder in a surface mount resistor as in my photo.

resistor9x.JPG
9xresistor
resistor9x.JPG (145.92 KiB) Viewed 23397 times
GTiDon

Postby Polanskiman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

Hello boys and girls,

I am on the verge of purchasing the Turnigy 9x V2. I want to install the FrSky DHT Tx module. I have seen the DIY $8 Lithium Transmitter Battery mod. done by Bruce (http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml). Questions:

1. Is this possible with the Turnigy 9x Version 2?
2 If so, is the resistor installation still necessary in this Versions?

Thanks for the inputs.

P
Polanskiman

Postby FlyingTiger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Polanskiman wrote:Hello boys and girls,

I am on the verge of purchasing the Turnigy 9x V2. I want to install the FrSky DHT Tx module. I have seen the DIY $8 Lithium Transmitter Battery mod. done by Bruce (http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml). Questions:

Thanks for the inputs.

P

To answer your questions, yes it is possible to do the $10 battery mod on the T9x V2. The resistor is required to stop the low battery warning from sounding continuously. But, if you upgrade the radio to ER9x software, you can set the low battery warning to whatever voltage you like and you won't have to solder in any resistors. If you put in the resistor ant then later go to ER9x software, you will need to remove the resistor.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby Polanskiman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:14 am

FlyingTiger wrote:

Thanks for the inputs.

P

To answer your questions, yes it is possible to do the $10 battery mod on the T9x V2. The resistor is required to stop the low battery warning from sounding continuously. But, if you upgrade the radio to ER9x software, you can set the low battery warning to whatever voltage you like and you won't have to solder in any resistors. If you put in the resistor ant then later go to ER9x software, you will need to remove the resistor.

Which brings the question: What does the ER9X software update bring to the Tx (apart from setting the battery warning level). Sorry if this has been asked before.
Polanskiman

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 am

Which brings the question: What does the ER9X software update bring to the Tx (apart from setting the battery warning level). Sorry if this has been asked before.

It's not so much an update as a complete new software package that allows the Tx to operate in the same class as the more expensive brands.

Have a search through here http://9xforums.com/forum to have a better understanding of what is achievable.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:05 pm

The main advantage of er9x,to me anyway,is the ability to mix any channel with any other.
For instance ,on an electric twin,you can mix the rudder to individual engines,to provide better steering at low speed.Very helpful on flying boats.
Also very useful is the throttle cut mix.It keeps the throttle closed,until you throw the switch.No unintended startup,so no cut fingers.
You also get another 8 virtual switches,to operate things like lights,or any other function using on/off.
And then there's the price.Nada,zilch,zip.I will be making a donation to ezra shortly,as i think it's the best I've ever used.Let other people prop up the big manufacturers with their $1200 tx's,for me the er9x equipped turnigy/imax/WHY is all I will ever need.
quarry44

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Defintely agree with quarry's comments above - its mostly about programability & ease of use particularly in comparison to the stock 9x firmware.

Other little features i like are:
- Instant trim switch - ability to assign to a switch that takes the current stick positions whilst in flight and makes those your servo trim settings - great for maiden flights or for resetting trims for conditions
- low battery voltage alarm - settable

But biggest benefit of ER9x/Open9x is the community behind it!!!! ... There isn't a circumstance or application that has been put to the community yet that hasn't resulted in some really clever answers to users problems. And its all done as open source!

I was so impressed i even bought the T-shirt!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Polanskiman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks indeed for the very helpful replies.

I made up my mind. Going for the Turnigy 9X v2 upgraded to ER9X with a FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module. I will simply update the software then do the battery mod.

I am also trying to find the FrSky D8R-XP receiver but unable to find it online (at least at reasonable shipping costs). Hobby King is not selling yet either. Any hints?

Cheers
Polanskiman

Postby quarry44 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 am

quarry44

Postby Polanskiman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am

quarry44 wrote:This mob appear to have stock:
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main_pa ... cts_id=468
YMMV.

Thanks. Done. Bought it! :)
Polanskiman