New Frsky DHT-U dashboard

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: New Frsky DHT-U dashboard

Postby Fly2High » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

If I was to plug in just one sensor into a D8R, can the data be displayed on the dashboard or FLD-02?

How does it know how to format the data and which field to put the data into?

I was thinking of plugging in a GPS or Altimeter but is there enough pins? Doesn't some of the sensors have 4 pins and others have 3?

which ones can be plugged in directly and how do you use the FLD-02 or DHU??
Fly2High

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:51 am

Well, I'm no expert on this telemetry stuff, but I did read some of the manuals over at FrSky and I have shamelessly copied the following:

Function of Two Way Communication
Two way communication between receiver and transmitter
The receiver is able to accept up to 2 analog inputs, which can be used to monitor battery voltage, temperature, etc., and transfer the data to the transmitter. Users can set the Alarm Level for each of these separate analog voltages in the transmitter. The alarms can be programmed to a voltage above or below a settable threshold or disabled.
The receiver is also able to accept serial data streams from its simple 3-wire RS232 port. Such information as GPS, altitude, and user-developed data can be transferred to the transmitter without error. This serial data is then available at the RS232 port on the Transmitter.
Technical data about the protocols are also available at the download portion of the FrSky website. 1

So... as I read it, the analog inputs should be usable for battery Voltage or Temperature, but other devices appear to put out the information in a digital format, so they would have to go to the digital port. I'm only guessing here, but I suspect that said port could either handle a single device, or, by using the hub, would allow multiple digital devices to be used on that one port.

The D6FR with it's built-in battery voltage sensor and one external analog telemetry port (A2) should be able to monitor the receiver battery and a second battery pack or a temperature. At least that's how I read it.

Regarding the other questions, I have no clue. I guess I need to order a bunch of this stuff and start playing with it.

Bruce or whomever, please feel free to step in and correct me if necessary!

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

kaptain_zero wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:I'm reviewing one of those 4-channel receivers at the moment -- it's a real shame they don't have a data-port because if they did they'd be a great glider radio with a vario hooked up. They only provide RSSI telemetry AFIK. I wish it also did battery voltage -- I sometimes wonder if I'm pushing my DLG's receiver pack too far with a couple of 40-minute+ flights.

Well, it sounds like the D6FR would be the best choice then.... at least one can attach one sensor to it without the the hub, if I read the manual correctly. I may just order one of those for my AXN....

Regards

Christian

Hi Christian...

1. Did you or anybody else find space for the D6FR in the AXN?

2. If yes where did you end up fixing it ie. on the firewall as in Bruce' build video?

TIA
AltechMYOB

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 am

I've just received a box of telemetry stuff from FrSky so I'll be doing some reviews on it very soon -- once the backpack stuff is out of the way.

Looks nicely done now but only the testing will tell for sure.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Previous

Return to Telemetry