Hitec Aurora 9 telemetry sensors

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Hitec Aurora 9 telemetry sensors

Postby mgua » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

I am re-posting also here in the telemetry forum after writing it in the radio forum http://rcmodelreviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279

I received my new Aurora 9 yesterday.
I also ordered HPP-22 device for connecting radio to pc and also the HTS-SS Sensor Station, but these devices are currently unavailable and will have to wait.

I am excited about its telemetry features, and I am planning to study the protocol used between the sensors and the receiver. I think it could be an I2C protocol.
Will definitely try to find some more information.
The basic idea would be to decode the protocol so to add my own sensors on the plane, and to send to the pilot the collected data via the receiver data port thru the downlink channel.

On the piloting side, my idea is to build a small datalogging interface device to be used at fly field, to be connected to the data port of the spectra AFHSS module, so to log telemetry data to flash memory.
The flash memory could then be read on the pc.
I think that such a project could be very useful for Hitec Aurora9 users, and eventually for other telemetry capable radio systems.

What do you think?
Anyone interested to do some coordinated hacking?

I will also post updates on my blog: http://marco.guardigli.it/2010/09/hitec-aurora9.html

Marco
mgua

Re: Hitec Aurora 9 telemetry sensors

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:46 pm

It would be nice if Hitec just released details of the protocol but I suspect they wont -- simply preferring to protect their sales of Hitec-branded sensors -- which makes sense from a business perspective I guess.

Decoding their protocol would be a bit of work but could ultimately be worthwhile if you've got the time and want to build your own sensors.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Hitec Aurora 9 telemetry sensors

Postby loren » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:01 am

I ordered one of the dealer specials at last fall's iHobby expo. Received it in December and started playing with it.

Presently installed in a Radian Pro but waiting for better weather to test fly. We just dug out of a 22 inch blizzard last week.

Received the first sensor kit in late January and did some measurements on the two included temperature sensors.

They are resistive two wire with a 70 degree F resistance of approximately 10.2K and they are NTC

I am located about 100 miles north of St Louis, MO commonly called the upper midwest of the USA. Started building my RC systems in the days of 3A5 tubes. Have a nice electronics work area at our hobbyshop. Three Tektronix 7603 scopes one with a 7L13 SA, lots of TM500 gear etc. Still do a lot of repairs and upgrades.

Also have a FrSky telemetry module and receivers for my JR 9303 & 10X.
loren

Return to Telemetry