My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 am

vane wrote:So do the transceiver modules in the transmitter modules actually switch (if say there was an antenna attached to it and the other antenna became blocked?) Just thinking of putting a patch antenna on the radio control as well as a video system to get more range, but if the patch antenna loses signal, it will then switch to the standard antenna.

I don't think they switch -- can't see why they would -- since there's on antenna on the other UFL there'd be no point ;-)

I'm going to be interested to see just how much power the receiver uses in transmit mode -- I suspect, given the very low temporal density of the telemetry signal, they may run more output power to ensure there's a decent link.

One thing I'll have to check though, is whether the RSSI value is derived from the receiver or from the transmitter. In theory, you could use either but it would be nice if it used the receiver's RSSI value since it sees a different noise-profile to the transmitter.

So much to test, so little time ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby vh7377 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:36 am

[There is an audio-alarm built into the module which sounds if the received signal drops to a low level.}

Hi Bruce,
I think this is covered in your post above. To be useful the signal you get back at the Tx (behaving as an Rx) should be of the input signal received from the Tx by the Rx. This begs the question of symmetry in signal strength, because to provide useful data the Tx (acting as an Rx) must then be able to receive signal with at least the same integrity as the Rx in the model. I'm sure that there will be some asymmetry in that coupled system (one will go out first, but which one). :?
Look forward to your investigations.
Cheers,
Hutton
vh7377

Postby vane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 am

But from what I can see, it looks like an off the shelf transceiver, so maybe it does shift, I guess I could test this if I get one
vane

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 am

Yes, but the switching will be controlled by the user-firmware I suspect and that's a function of the code in the module.

Mind you, the transmitter module software is re-flashable and they even offer a USB cable that allows you to do just that.
RCModelReviews

Postby vane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 am

Ah ok I get you now! I wonder if they have blocked you from copying their firmware from the chip? :)
vane

Postby Evan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello

I really want to buy the FrSky telemety set from Himodel but I don't have a modular transmitter just yet. I know FrSky list all the compatable JR and Futaba transmitters but all of the models listed are quite expensive. Does anyone know of a transmitter that is reasonably priced that I could perhaps buy second-hand that I could use to experiment with?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Evan

Postby RobC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Hitec Optics go at reasonable prices on ebay, 6 channel 8 memories and take Futaba style modules. The only thing with hitec is that the modules are inverted compared to Futaba, but you can always modify the module to allow the aerial to exit the other way.
RobC

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Evan wrote:Hello

I really want to buy the FrSky telemety set from Himodel but I don't have a modular transmitter just yet.

You could wait for the telemetry-enabled DIY kit that will be coming out in the not-too distant future.

It's the same as the current DIY kit but has the telemetry option built in so you can fit it to any PPM transmitter.
RCModelReviews

Postby skyguy04 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 am

skyguy04 wrote:So i just bought the frSky module w/o the telemetry. Does this mean that I'll have to buy another module to take advantage of telemetry?

So, i thought by buying the "2-way" radio system that they would eventually be able to add telemetry to my module some how. What's the advantage of having 2-way, non-telemetry system? Marketing hype?
skyguy04

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 am

Only the telemetry-capable system is 2-way.

One aspect that I'm looking at right now is whether I get around to finishing my own transmitter logic-board and using it in conjunction with the FrSky 2-way system in a way that implements my "model load" idea.

It would actually be very simple -- the telemetry hub sending a unique model-number ID that would be passed to the transmitter logic board and used to select the appropriate model memory automatically.

So much to do -- so little time :-(
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry