My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby vane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Hmm I was wondering why they went for rs232! making an inverter would require a negative 12v which would be very complicated!

Glad all you need is a resistor and a diode!

Does this transmitter module have the two antenna u.fl plugs in it?
vane

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Actually level conversion isn't too complex -- there are dedicated level-conversion chips such as the MAX232 series that will connect TTL signals to RS232 signals using just 6-7 components.

The original (pre-production) transmitter module does have 2 UFLs (only one is used though) but I've not had a chance to check the production unit yet. Only one antenna is used however - there's nothing to be gained by using two antennas on the transmitter.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 8040johnny » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm

hi have only just started to read these postings i think the idea of a fuel guage has merit but there is a more straight forward solution have a small header tank that will guarantee a couple of minutes flight and put a optical sensor looking through the fuel line from the main tank to the header tank it might trigger ocassionally if bubbles flow through the line but that might actually be usefull as if it happens alot that would tend to indicate somethings amis with the main tank eg sticking clunk foaming tank etc .
hope this is of some use to some one.
i personaly dont think i will be dabling will telemetry for some time to many other priorities.
8040johnny

Postby vh7377 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 pm

{I'm proposing the use of a small phono jack that will allow the external LED to be plugged in (which will automatically disable the internal LED). This (of course) assumes that you're not using a dashboard (which I suspect most people won't) but want an indication of the signal strength "at a glance" while in-flight.}
Hi Bruce,
Is there anyway to make that LED (the range indicator) into an audible signal? Don't want to take my eyes of the speck just to see if the comms are good, and its too late if they are not :-)
Keep up the good work. Will look forward to buying into your system when you have it up and going.
In the meantime this old glider guider is looking for range, range and more range.
Hutton
vh7377

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 pm

There is an audio-alarm built into the module which sounds if the received signal drops to a low level. I'm looking at a "dashboard-lite" system that will simply use audio and LEDs to report information and thus be a lot smaller and lighter than the full LCD dashboard system. Dashboard-lite would still have a variable audio tone for the vario.
RCModelReviews

Postby jet760 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:22 am

Hi Bruce
last week I sent you a video in regards to frsky telemetry module and hextronic servos, have you seen any issues? I am trying to work out what is going on.
jet760

Postby vane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 am

So do the transceiver modules in the transmitter modules actually switch (if say there was an antenna attached to it and the other antenna became blocked?) Just thinking of putting a patch antenna on the radio control as well as a video system to get more range, but if the patch antenna loses signal, it will then switch to the standard antenna.

Thanks for the info about the max232s
Peter
vane

Postby skyguy04 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:03 am

So i just bought the frSky module w/o the telemetry. Does this mean that I'll have to buy another module to take advantage of telemetry?
skyguy04

Postby jet760 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am

Yes Skyguy you will, the telemetry Module is different and you will also need a Telemetry Rx which is a special Rx. (8 channel)
jet760

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:32 am

jet760 wrote:Hi Bruce
last week I sent you a video in regards to frsky telemetry module and hextronic servos, have you seen any issues? I am trying to work out what is going on.

I haven't had a chance to throw it on the bench yet but I'll test it using the servos I tested the original system on and I'll do some side-by-side testing with HXT900s and a few others I've got laying about. I'll also throw it on the scope and see how much jitter there is on the servo output pulses.

May take a couple of days until I make the time.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry