My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm working on an OSD capability for FPV fliers. Unlike existing OSD systems however, it would be overlaid on the ground-station end, not the model end. That means loss of video signal won't also mean loss of telemetry information.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby gordy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 pm

RobC wrote:The problem with flow meters and similar is that they depend on the tank being filled consistently.

Wouldn't the best way be to monitor the fuel going into an empty tank via the flow meter, then you have the exact amount in the tank when you take off.
gordy

Postby Captain351 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Where exactly could I buy the FrSky 2-way transmitter and receiver? Not much on Google or am I jumping the gun here?

http://www.himodel.com/sort.php?brand=206

Captain
Captain351

Postby jet760 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:34 am

Hi Captain
where are you? what country are you in?
jet760

Postby vane » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Great Bruce! I look forward to seeing that!

Off topic slightly, I saw that scrapheap challenge on tv first time round :) I didn't know it was you :)
vane

Postby RobC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:06 pm

gordy wrote:
RobC wrote:The problem with flow meters and similar is that they depend on the tank being filled consistently.

Wouldn't the best way be to monitor the fuel going into an empty tank via the flow meter, then you have the exact amount in the tank when you take off.

:D you're making it complicated again, now you need a flow meter to measure fuel going in, a flow meter to monitor rate of consumption and a processor matching one against the other.
Surely the simplest way (KISS) is to just send a signal back to the tx when the fuel level gets low in the tank? Think of it like a battery low voltage warning, the best way is just to have a trigger for when the voltage drops to a set point.
Now that just leaves the format of this low level trigger.

Incidentally, the production receivers seem to have the 3.3v connections disabled by the simple process of clipping those two pins. This leaves the two analogue inputs with just input and ground connections. I guess the 3.3v rail reference is obsolete now

These are about 2-3mm wider and 5mm longer than the old 8 channel rx.
RobC

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Damn, mine are still stuck on the slow boat from China -- it's now been in the air for over a week.

As for fuel -- simple level sensors are fine if you're not doing a whole bunch of aerobatics but if you fly 3D like me... well that's going to require the addition of some accelerometers so that the system knows which way up your model is at any given time. Hmmm.. that sounds like a fun project (for later!).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Jacko » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:59 pm

With these audible alarms is it possible to set an alarm to go off when the user flies in too many lefthand circuits in a row? I think a mate my need it urgently. :roll:
Jacko

Postby gordy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:51 am

RobC wrote:
gordy wrote:

:D you're making it complicated again, now you need a flow meter to measure fuel going in, a flow meter to monitor rate of consumption and a processor matching one against the other.
Surely the simplest way (KISS) is to just send a signal back to the tx when the fuel level gets low in the tank? .

OK I don't know how the flow meter works but I would have thought that the same meter could measure in both directions. Then it would be (KISS)

:)

Cheers
Gordy
gordy

Postby marcel » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello from Uk all,

Nice one Bruce very interesting i am watching with baited breath and soldering iron in hand :)
marcel

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry